Thursday, April 23, 2009

SkyWatch Friday

SkyWatch is managed by Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise. If you would like to join in and post your own photos, or just want to look at other sky pictures from all over the world, click on the SWF badge below.
Gregg and I are on our way to look around National Harbor in Maryland.

I found the following information on the Internet: National Harbor is a new 300-acre waterfront destination in the Washington, DC area that opened in the spring of 2008. It includes hotels, restaurants, retail stores, condominiums, a full-service marina, a convention center, and commercial office space. The cornerstone of the development of National Harbor is the new Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center (Gregg said he thought these people also owned the Grand Old Oprey) said to be the largest non-gaming hotel and convention center on the East Coast. Plans are also underway to build the National Children’s Museum on this site.

Above is a cropped photo of where we were heading to. We were on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. What I removed was the concrete barrier which did nothing for the photo. Below is a very interesting sculpture as we approach.

More interesting sculptures of an eagle on top of two very tall posts that where at the top of a long flight of steps that led down to the water's edge.



Here we are on our way home, entering Virginia from Maryland.
There are several posts of National Harbor below.

29 comments:

Cheffie-Mom said...

Very interesting photos! The eagle sculptures are amazing!

Becca's Dirt said...

Interesting eagle. Nice views as you travel. Have a nice day.

Guy D said...

Excellent skywatch post. I love unique entries like this, really makes me want to visit.

Have a great weekend.
Guy
Regina In Pictures

SandyCarlson said...

That eagle is interesting. Looks like a nifty place.

Eve said...

You've seen some wonderful things Denise! Great travels!

Caroline said...

I love photos that show me different parts of the world I even just love reading the signs is that kinda weird or what!!

Erin said...

enjoyed your photos and commentary denise and look forward to going there and seeing the place one day soon. so many places around us to visit...have a wonderful evening.

Photo Cache said...

I feel like I was part of this roadtrip. Such beautiful pictures.

earthtoholly said...

Excellent photos, Denise. And isn't that new bridge something? I grew up in Alexandria and never would've guessed that that bridge would every get rebuilt. I haven't been to National Harbor yet, but have photographed it from Jones Pt. across the river. So, how did you like it? :o)

Cezar and Léia said...

Great pictures!Magnificent sky!
Many thanks for sharing
Léia

Carol said...

Great photos...looks like a nice place to visit...the eagle sulptures are very unusual...

Terrence said...

Hey! I happen to like concrete barriers...;-)

You show us it pays to travel.
As it so happens I published a few pics from different towns and cities as my contribution for SWF this week at http://terrebelius.blogspot.com

(Not to be confused with http://terrebel.blogspot.com, which is my regular weblog. In Dutch.)

Mary Elizabeth said...

Beatiful photos.
Mary Elizabeth @ Now and Then

Babooshka said...

This is fabulous just to happen upon things like Eagle Sculptures and to travel such open roads.

Vicky said...

yes, the eagle sculptures are very unique. Happy SWF.

Carver said...

I like the sculptures so much. Lovely shots from your trip and an interesting post.

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

We always enjoy checking out our neighbor to the north. Love the way you tell a story with your many pics!

napaboaniya said...

The sculpture of the eagle is indeed very interesting and looks complicated as well :)
Nice sky! Have a good weekend ahead!!!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great set of photos Denise and interesting. The sky looked a bit grey - did you get wet? A x

Tabib said...

Beautiful sculptures pics

J said...

I like the sculptures a lot - to me they look like a modern take on traditional native american art. is that the case, or am i just going a little bit crazy? ;)

diane said...

National harbour sounds like a nice place to visit, thanks for taking me on another tour. The sky lookes a litle grey but the sculpture is attractive.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Nice shots. I like cloudy, overcast days. Those sculptures were really interesting, especially that first one.

Dewdrop said...

I think I would enjoy a visit there! Great shots! Thanks so much for sharing!

Pam said...

Thanks for the wonderful photo journey, I enjoyed very much.

Gattina said...

The sculptures are very interesting ! I even forgot to look at your skies, lol !

bellamocha said...

What a fascinating post..and place...I came by expecting to see a sky and got so much more!!
I love the eagle too! You must have had a great time there!

Mine is up too...happy Friday!
Bella:)

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

Great tour, those eagle sculptures are just wonderful Denise!

Lew said...

You have some nice posts of National Harbor! Interesting sculptures of the eagles. Did you see The Awakening? At one time it was in East Potomac Park in DC. It is an interesting sculpture that was moved to National Harbor in February 2008.