Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Red-Vented Bulbul

Yesterday I tried to take photos of my feathered friends out back, but it was a very dreary day, raining for most of it. My photos were too dark and many were out of focus. So, I decided to go into my holiday folder and try to find some birds that I took photos of in December 2008, when we were in Hawaii. These are a bit grainy as it was another grey day and they were far away in the trees. I also cropped them to try and get a better look - you can see the results, not great but hopefully interesting enough to put on here.

This is a study in the Red-Vented Bulbul, kind of........

The Red-vented Bulbul is easily identified by its short crest giving the head a squarish appearance. The body is dark brown with a scaly pattern while the head is darker or black. The rump is white while the vent is red. The black tail is tipped in white. I found this information here.
On doing a little research I found it was introduced from India in the 1950's or 1960's, and was an illegal cage release, for what reason I am not sure. I also read it's distribution is only on Oahu.

This bird is very common and is a noisy garden pest. It eats orchid bulbs as well as many types of fruits. In 1989 it caused an estimated $300,000 in damage to the orchid industry on O‘ahu. Bulbuls also are aggressive and are probably displacing many native birds.

What a shame, like our Sparrows, Grackles and Starlings, it has a bad reputation but I found it a pretty little bird and very interesting because I had never seen it before. And just like the tiny Sparrow and his like-wise friends, I can't help but feel a certain sympathy for them. It was after all not their fault that man decided to play with Mother Nature.

They went "that-a-way!"
You can find a lovely photo right here.

15 comments:

Erin said...

now that is a huge dollar loss caused by a birdie ^..^
enjoyed the read and the photos.
have a lovely day denise.

imac said...

Hope its sunny today for you.
Nice Bird post and tale - tail.

Patty said...

It's been rainy, cold, damp and chilly around here also. I'll be so happy when that sun comes out again. I just hope it doesn't get too hot all at once.

Cezar and Léia said...

They are gracious!
Wonderful post Denise!
You have improved your skill with bird's stuffs! So nice! Congratulations!
Léia

tricia said...

I think the photos are great. This is a bird I'd never heard of. Doesn't seem like the ideal neighbor, but a real cute little critter.

Kay said...

Yes, they are pretty, BUT....sigh.... my poor mom was heartbroken because they waited right outside our garden waiting for the orchids to provide buds for them to eat. Our hanging data disks seem to have done the job though.

Lanny said...

The coloring of some birds cracks me up!

I'm surprised that we don't have more out of place plants, birds and animals. It seem so easy to "carry" something along by accident even. I've got a daffodil growing in a garden I created and I know I did not have daffs there at anytime. But there it is, yellow, big and bold and determined to be there.

Denise said...

Erin, it certainly was and hard to comprehend.

Imac, thank you, you too.

Patty, it probably will.

Léia, thank you, I am really trying.

Tricia, very cute but very destructive apparently.

Kay, oh dear, I would have been heartbroken too. I'm glad your hanging discs are working.

Denise said...

Lanny, I think that's how I got a lot of plants in my garden.

Tess said...

Aren't they gorgeous! beautiful birds, perfect capture.

fishing guy said...

Denise: Never saw one of these but they are really neat.

Will said...

I enjoyed your photos of the birds and your informative blog. Interesting! Yes, the FDR Memorial is a nice place to visit in D.C. I did not get all that many photos of it because we were in a hurry to get to the tidal basin to see the cherry blossoms.

Tabib said...

What a nice holiday pictures!
It may be pest, but beautiful, bird.
We have Yellow-vented bulbul here, very common.

Denise said...

Thank you everyone. Hope the sun is shining in your part of the world. Looks like our rain has stopped for a little while.

Denise said...

Thank you all so much for always dropping by.