Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I had a surprise in my garden this morning

I could not believe my eyes. I had just finished a few chores and noticed that rascal squirrel at the feeder again, and several other birds underneath it picking at the leftovers. So there I am in my usual spot feeling myself relaxing watching them all, when without warning they all took off into the trees. I only had a second to register that when all of a sudden the most beautiful red fox ran across my vision from one end to the other, and I watched as he hopped up the steps onto my neighbor's deck. He must have jumped off the other end, as seconds after that I saw him in the other neighbor's garden and before I knew it he was out of sight. I almost ran out into the pouring rain to try and follow him but just as quickly decided to get a grip! Too fast for me to react to pick up that camera. I think my mouth must have dropped open. He was a beautiful sight but so fleeting, and once again my memory will have to be my camera.

This is only the third time in several years that I have actually seen a fox. Once at Huntley Meadows, once running along a path as we were driving along the freeway and now this. What a gift! I have NEVER seen one in our back garden and we have lived here 19 years. You can probably tell I am on a natural high. Doesn't take much to make this girl happy.

20 comments:

  1. Our ability to remember is a blessing indeed isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they have to be the most beautiful little creatures...i have seen a couple in my lifetime...and of course i too, had no camera in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lucky you to have that memory. That is indeed a wonderful treat to see such an amazing animal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Denise!
    One more time I need to say how lucky you are!
    What a nice surprise!

    Glad to know that!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to keep that camera by that window. We've had raccoons, opossums, skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, and asst. birds, but never a fox. Now that we have a high privacy fence I doubt a fox could get into the yard. Although the raccoons still get in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lanny, it is isn't it?

    Erin, The camera was there, just too, too fast :(

    Michele and Léia, I did feel very lucky.

    Patty, would you believe my camera was right there on the chair? That little fox was just too fast!!! You have a lot of wonderful visitors to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise,you are so blessed to enjoy watching these cuties in your yard, You have a very sharp memory. Thanks for visiting mine and leaving a very nice words. You are so super sweet. I am better now thank you. Hope you have a wonderful evening.

    hugs,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's those unexpected glimpses that make life so joyous. I can tell, it made your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah~ Seeing a fox moving around your yard is not something common!
    Maybe it'll come by once again, hopefully you'll be able to capture a few shots then :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a beautiful sight! There are many moments you'd like to catch something but..your right, our memories will have to sufice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The spirit of Spring and renewel and wiley jokes has blessed you!
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  12. must have been such a heavenly feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty exciting stuff. Amazing how much animals play into our lives. I do hope you have learned a lesson from this-- put your camera around your neck and don't take it off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely visitors in the garden! Have a great day, Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting for you. Must mean the environment can't be in too bad a state for it to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Denise: Sometimes it is really hard to react. I saw the fox I photographed several times before I got photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is the joy of being outside. You never know what surprises await you...

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are beautiful, i raised a baby fox years ago. Won't do that again. Specially in the house, they really smell bad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone. I am wondering if the rainy day brought out that little fox. I will be looking out for him on another, but if he comes I am sure he will appear when least expected :)

    ReplyDelete