Monday, April 20, 2009

My World Tuesday - The Awakening at National Harbor, Maryland

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World. You can see other ‘My World’ photos or join in and share your own by clicking on the badge below.

We were amazed to see a giant hand on the water at National Harbor. Gregg took this photo of it trying to capture the Masonic Temple and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge within its grasp. The bridge lies across The Potomac. On one side is Virginia and on the other is Maryland and we drove over it to get to our destination. We had no idea we would be seeing such an amazing sight. It is called "The Awakening."
You can enlarge all the photos to get a better view.
There's the arm.....
and there's the leg.......
The face that these children are clambering all over........
and he doesn't look too happy about that does he?
Children are attracted to every limb.
I think he swatted the little darlings off his fingers just so that I could take this photo.
Here's the foot.....
and now for the whole magilla.
I had made my way onto the pier for the last shot.
The other amazing discovery was to find that this statue had resided at Haines Point in Washington DC for the last 28 years, and we had no idea. I am not sure why but it was unearthed and transported to this spot and seems to be a very popular playground for any visiting children. Up close it is an amazing sculpture.

J. Seward Johnson is its creator and our giant was originally installed at East Potomac Park (Hains Point) in 1980, for the International Sculpture Conference Exhibition. It was sold to be part of the National Harbor development and removed on February 27th, 2008 and transported to its present location soon after.

35 comments:

Steve B said...

I cannot feel that this is a statue of Neptune gasping for life. Those of us that live on the sea know that things are not what they should be.

kayleen said...

What an unusual and unique sculpture. Has an interesting history. Great photos as always.

Nebraska Birding

Cezar and Léia said...

something sureal!
Great pictures Denise!
God bless you
Léia

Janie said...

The sculpture looks very realistic and well done, but wow, how unusual to see limbs coming out of the sand!
Interesting photos.

Eve said...

that is fantastic Denise!! I love it! Great shots!

Erin said...

this is an awesome piece and you captured it so perfectfully.
enjoyed the commentary and history behind it.
thanks for sharing with us.
have a good tuesday denise.

Jan said...

I love this, thank you so much for sharing it.

tricia said...

Absolutely amazing! Great photos too. Thanks so much. I'm going back to look at the pics again. :)

Martha said...

That is an amazing sculpture. It would be rather startling to come upon it by accident.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Unique sculpture. I love it.

SweetPeaSurry said...

Hmmm ... is there an actual body under the sand then? Or do they just place the body parts around?

Strange but cool!

Indrani said...

Whoa! Something so unusual.
I too am getting the child like thrill seeing it. :)

ewok1993 said...

That is really neat sculpture. I bet that's a major crowd pleaser.

2sweetnsaxy said...

That is so very cool! I'm so glad you took photos and shared them. They're especially intersting with the people on parts of it showing how large it is in comparison.

nature ramblings said...

That is the most wonderful series of photos.. That sculpture is fantastic. To amazing to be used as a childrens playground. I would love to see this in person. Guess I am going to have to visit Maryland. (don't I wish). Thanks for sharing this beautiful sight.

Titania said...

It looks like the statue, yes it looks like Neptune, has found its resting place! It is amazing.

Babooshka said...

What a marvellous series of images. I do like to outdoor art like this, but not here. It does make you gulp for air watching him grasping.

Maria Berg said...

Like you wrote it look like a great playground for the children and me - I lave to play to... but I promise to me careful not to break it.

The idea of the sculpture is fun.

It is always great to see big animals like you saw the deer.

/Maria Berg

Michele said...

Whoa, that's cool but also weird in a sense. That was neat to see!

Ebie said...

Greg did a good angle shot on the first photo, capturing it like its going to take down the bridge. I think the whole sculpture is beautiful with its intricate details.

chrome3d said...

That would be a really fun thing to see and play for evrybody! Really unique idea. I don´t think I´ve ever seen such a statue.

MedaM said...

Your photos are wonderful, as always. The sculpture is impressive but in some weird way.

fishing guy said...

Denise: That is a neat sculpture and the children look like they are having a ball.

Euroangel said...

i love your photos Denise..thanks for sharing..wish to be back to the US next time....I guess i'm joining this meme...thanks for the visit!

mommanator said...

O I must take the grands to see when I come up this summer

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Such an unusual sculpture!

Libby Murphy said...

Oh my it's captivating but the wild thing is that Seward was once married to a friend of mine and this is the first sculpture of his that I've seen in a while. Just made me think about all those old times. Thank you for sharing the story with the picture.

Tarolino said...

What an amazing feature to have a giant statue like that half buried in the sand for kids to climb all over.
The expression in the face is very powerful.
Makes one a bit curious to know what the whole statue looks like. The world is full of odd things.

I just love your captures of the deer below.

Hildegarde said...

The awakening, rising from under the sand, I have to think about that, it's intrigueing and special. A good post !

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

I think this might be one of my faveourite statues ever, just so striking and full of movement. Thanks for sharing Denise.

Tricia said...

WoW! That's the strangest I've seen! Great shots though!

Arija said...

An interesting sculpture, it has been featured on MY WORLD before, I am stil ambivalent about how I feel about it though. Very nice shots.

Margaret Cloud said...

The close up of the hand and the face are very scary but interesting.

Kay said...

Oh my goodness! That's an incredible sculpture. Wow! I love your photos.

Stephen Baird said...

great photos. what a cool place.
nikonsniper