Monday, March 16, 2009

Luiz' Sicilian Lemon Risotto

A few weeks' ago Luiz of Good Readings and who also hosts Today's Flowers kindly offered a recipe for Sicilian Lemon Risotto. I made it over the weekend and it was delicious. Not having made Risotto before, I had a lot of fun making this dish. Thank you very much Luiz!
~
"Risotto" of Sicilian lemon

2 cups of Italian Rice (Arborio, Carneroli or Vialone)
1 Onion (medium size)
6 cups of vegetables broth
1 cup of dry white wine
Juice of two Sicilian lemons, plus the grated peel from both lemons.
2 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
Salt and Parmeggiano Reggiano by taste
~
I used the ingredients I had on hand and did not have the Arborio, Carneroli or Vialone rice, but used a regular long-grain rice already in our pantry. I also didn't have Sicilian Lemons available and used what they had in the store. Next time I will look for the correct ingredients or at least get as close as I can.
~
Slice the onion thinly and sauté in olive oil.

When onion is cooked, mix with the rice for two minutes.

Add the wine and stir until the wine evaporates.


Okay, so I am not a connoisseur of wine by any means but I did look for a dry white wine and came across this one. It is a Pinot Grigio. Whoever the marketer was who came up with this label was a genious and was obviously speaking to me. It was a toss up between the monkey on the label and this one. I left the monkey on the shelf until next time.

I always remember Rachel Ray saying on one of her shows we were watching, not to bother getting a cheap bottle of cooking wine. Much better to get a nice, not necessarily expensive bottle, because after you have measured your wine for the Risotto, the next step is to pour yourself a glass and enjoy. Not too much now, we don't want any accidents please, especially with a hot stove and hot liquid on the hob. No going for the Batman band-aids today. See here when I made that other dish if you want to know what that comment is all about. If you're not having the glass of wine let's move on.

Add vegetable broth little by little, mixing after each addition. Add more broth if Risotto becomes too dry, mixing well.
When rice is soft but "al dente" turn-off the heat and add lemon juice and butter, mixing well.
After two minutes you can serve with the finely grated lemon peel and the Parmeggiano to your taste.

Delicious!
~
You can see by my sidebar that I have found quite a few recipe blogs which I enjoy going too quite often. I found this recipe at The Way The Cookie Crumbles hosted by Bridget and thought it would be a nice accompaniment to go with Luiz' Risotto. I like the fact that you can prepare and freeze before cooking and it is always a great idea to find meals that are stress free before company arrives. This chicken dish seems like a very kid-friendly meal also.

Crispy Baked Chicken Strips
Serves 4

To freeze these, spread them on a baking sheet (without the rack) after coating and before baking. Place the pan in the freezer and chill for about half an hour, until mostly firm. Transfer the strips to freezer bags. When ready to cook, defrost them and continue with the recipe.

~

1/4 cup table salt

4 bonesless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips

1/4 cup flour

6 tablespoons (1/2 stick butter), melted

2 cups finely crushed corn flakes cereal

~
Dissolve the salt in 1 quart cold water. Add the chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove the cutlets from the brine and pat dry.
~
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400F. Place an oven-safe baking rack in a baking sheet.
~
Place the flour and butter in separate small bowls. Add the crushed cereal to a medium-sized bowl.

Dip the chicken pieces in the flour (don't be like me and forget the flour part), then the butter, then the cereal.

Place the coated chicken strips on the baking rack in the baking sheet.

Bake 15-20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Serve.

With the Crispy Chicken and Sicilian Lemon Risotto, I added some asparagus spears.
~

Gregg and I gave this a definite thumb's up and will be happy to serve both dishes to family and friends. I would like to thank Luiz and Bridget for giving us such a lovely meal. Please visit their blogs when you can.

10 comments:

Daffodilly said...

Love "Mommy's Time Out."

Cezar and Léia said...

Terrific!!!!
Oh Denise don`t encourage me because I need to lose weigh!
:-) kind regards
Léia

papercages said...

I absolutely love the way you present recipes Denise. They always sound so delicious, but this one is particularly enticing. I may come out of retirement from cooking just to try it. :)

Snooty Primadona said...

Loved the recipes! I can't wait to try the chicken in crushed corn flakes... Yummy! I have a cooking blog separate from my regular blog & have had great fun with it in spite of the fact that I have very few visitors

Walker said...

Terrific post, love it.

Margaret Cloud said...

I will have to ad this to my recipe file, and the chicken also, I am always looking for new meals to make, thanks.

Nancy said...

I am so glad I found your blog - great recipes. I'm a big fan of risotto - make it a couple of time a week. I'll certainly try this as my husband loves lemon.

Merci!!

The Birdlady said...

Whoa! You are multi-talented for sure.

Bridget said...

Mm, I love those chicken strips, and I definitely love risotto. What a great combination!

Tina said...

you know i have never tried rissoto. i need to try it. looks like you did a great job with yours