Sunday, March 22, 2009

Love the weekends.

We went out to breakfast this morning with son-one-and-only and this time we found an IHOP (International House of Pancakes) with only a ten-15 minute wait, so we stopped and chatted for a while before sitting at our table. Forgot to take pictures for the family scrapbook but we had a good time, and we had an exceptionally nice gentleman who served us, Roberto. He was lovely, very friendly with a great smile. The people who work in there are always so nice.

We had a good time and after we left IHOP and founds ourselves in one of our book stores afterwards. I was happy to see Nature's Garden on sale and I picked one up. I have been looking for it for a while now, and asked my son to keep an eye out for it too. Our blogging friend Eve over at Sunny Side Up has a photograph in there. If you turn to page 95 you will see it. I am not going to say what it is because I don't want to spoil the fun but it is really very cool knowing someone who has a photo published in there. Way to go Eve!

I am not in the book store as regularly these days, maybe getting in there about once a month. So, I always pick up several magazines that I enjoy. I have a few subscriptions; Nature's Best, Birds and Blooms, Better Home and Gardens, Reader's Digest and Southern Living. Today I found myself putting these into my basket, my all-time favorites; Nature Photography, Hawaii, Blue Ridge, Arizona and Yankee. I also treated myself to a book, The Shack by Wm Paul Young. I have a bumper crop and I won't be running out of reading material any time soon.

Now we're home, son-one-and-only has departed to meet up with daughter-in-law-to-be-one-and-only, Gregg is on the other sofa reading today's newspaper and there is a basketball game on, Oklahoma State and Pittsburg. Oklahoma is heavily favored but Pittsburg is hanging in there, so says hubs. I have no clue sorry to say, not being at all sports-minded, though I do watch a little golf every now and again. I try but am a send-me-to-the-corner-because-attention-span-is-short on sports kind of a person.

Yesterday I met up with the girls and we saw one of the New York's Met's Opera's at our local movie theatre, Bellini's La Sonnambula with Natalie Dessay and Juan Diego Flórez. They were wonderful. We saw them together in La Fille du Régiment several months ago and they are becoming a fast favorite of mine.

I found myself starting to snooze just before the end of the first act but didn't feel so bad when I looked over at my companion seated next to me and saw her head down and eyes closed, she had drifted off also. She leaned over and said , "I heard you snore a little" and I said, "I saw you sleeping." We looked at each other and tittered in the darkness, and I said "You weren't far off, you're eyes were closed", so I told her my little secret of how during The Damnation of Faust I had managed to sleep through the whole last act without being detected. A shock to me at the time as I had no idea I had done so until I saw the singers taking their bows.

Fortunately for us we were not sitting with our other friends. These things are so popular that even though we got to the theatre an hour before the performance started, prime seating had already been taken and we had to split up, three in front and two of us behind. My fellow snoozer was sitting next to me while our three friends were just off to the left of us in front. Just in case you are wondering if they are going to read this, well I have not told them about this blog as they aren't really that interested in the computer much, apart from e-mails. Now if one of them suddenly pops up in the comment box I'll know the secret is out but in the meantime I think my secret is safe. My fellow snoozer and I both had not gotten much sleep the night before.

Later we went out to dinner at The Olive Garden, had another wonderful meal and polished off a bottle of wine. I slept well that night, I suspect so did my snoozing companion. Hmmmm.........

8 comments:

  1. my oh my sounds as if you are on-the-go all the time on the weekends. we had breakfast at ihop yesterday morning... and only had to wait about 10 minutes:0 simply wonderful breakfast.

    you reading materials sound great. enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who drove home? LOL. Sounds like you've had a lovely week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a nice weekend .. and I discovered I slept through the last 20 min of something we recorded, so memorable I cant tell you what it was w/o admitting to Husband I slept through ... and mine is watching basketball too :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, glad you enjoyed your breakfast too. Yes, I am looking forward to doing a bit of reading this week.

    Patty, not me - hahahaha!!!! We had a designated driver.

    Daryl, a girl after my own heart, fellow snoozers and :-( on the basketball. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely weekend Denise and you describe it all so well I was almost there with you. I stayed awake though! A x

    ReplyDelete
  6. IHOP! Huge apple pancakes dancing in my head. ;-) I know the one in Bethsda, Md (lived nearby for many years).

    I haven't seen a Southern Living issue since I moved three years ago. The only US magazines I can find here are Martha's and Real Simple and when friends come to visit, I usually ask for Food and Wine and Cooking Light (the food magazines here simply don't "talk" to me *g*). Leafing through them always makes me feel almost home again. People always smile when I insist that American food magazine are the best in the world (it's true).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when we were in London, we took our kids to see Cats. They were middle school age at the time. With the jet lag and everything, they slept through 75% of the producton. As I recall, we paid a LOT for very good seats. I shook them awake to listen to Memories and they drifted off to sleep again. Glad to hear you had a nice evening. Hmmm.... after that bottle of wine, you might have drifted off to sleep again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Denise!
    What a wonderful weekend! Pancakes and then some time inside a good book store! Sounds perfect!
    I could include a cup of cappuccino, that is my favorite subject every morning!
    kind regards
    Léia :-)

    ReplyDelete