Friday, March 27, 2009

Camera Critters

Camera Critters is another wonderful meme hosted by Misty Dawn. You can find other critter photos by clicking on the icon above. Thank you Misty.

Remember .......?
~
Hush little baby, don’t say a word,
Mama’s gonna buy you a mockingbird.
And if that mockingbird don’t sing,
Mama’s gonna buy you a diamond ring.
~
This traditional American lullaby refers to the fact that Northern Mockingbirds were once popular as pets. President Thomas Jefferson had a pet mockingbird named Dick.
The Mockingbird is a medium-sized songbird – 9 to 11 inches - with a long tail. It is grey on the top of its body and white below and has two white wing bars. Large white patches show on the wings while in flight and it has white outer tail feathers.
Their nest is an open cup, the base of which is dead twigs built mainly by the male. The lining of the nest is made up of grasses added by the female and is usually less than 10 feet from the ground in shrubs.

There are usually two to six bluish or greenish white colored eggs with brownish markings. Incubation is by the female only and takes from 12 to 13 days. The fledglings are fed by both parents from 12 to 15 days and they can have two or three broods per year.

In the United States, Mockingbirds are the State bird for Arkansas, Florida, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.

Another well-known song I found on YouTube.



28 comments:

Diane C. said...

Really cute pictures and interesting info! I didn't realize that Mockingbirds were once popular as pets in the US.

Eve said...

I can't wait to see mockingbirds in Alabama. I've only had one spend the summer here.

Cezar and Léia said...

Amazing pictures!This little fellow is so cute!

Naturegirl said...

Cute little birds that I would never see in Canada!Happy weekend to you!!

Janie said...

I love the mockingbird's ever-changing song.
None here in Utah, but I always listen for them when we visit the southlands.

bellamocha said...

Your bird pictures are amazing- really well captured! I've always loved the Mockingbird song and used to sing it to my children when they were tiny. Lovely memories you brought back for me...thank you!
Bella :)

Denise said...

Diane C, I didn't realize that either.

Eve, you'll have to take lots of photos of them.

Léia, thank you he certainly was.

Naturegirl, thank you and happy weekend to you too.

Janie, they are fascinating birds.

Bellamocha, thank you. I am so glad my photos brought back some lovely memories.

Kay said...

We saw and heard our first mockingbird in California. It was surprising to hear all its different songs.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely photos of the mockingbird Denise. Good to read some facts about it as well. Thanks. A x

Cathy said...

Hello Denise
Those are great pictures you have taken - you must be very patient.
No mocking birds here although the Lyrebird mimics lots of sounds.
Take care
Cathy

diane said...

Beautiful pics of the mocking bird. I have never seen one. Great info too. Terrific post.

i beati said...

excellent expanse of the theme sandy

Denise said...

Kay, they are clever little birds aren't they?

Anne, thank you and glad you enjoyed the post.

Cathy, thank you too. I will have to look up that Lyrebird.

Diane, thank you. Being a fledgling birder, I have had a whole new world opened up to me.

I Beati, thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

Snap said...

There is a Mockingbird outside my window as I type. Thanks for the photos and the info!

Michele said...

I just adore the mockingbird and its sweet little song.
Your photos are exceptional.

I hope you are well.

Misty Dawn said...

The photos are truly spectacular!!! And, the post overall is GREAT! Thank you for taking the time to create such a wonderful post.

Margaret Cloud said...

I don't know if we have Mockingbirds in Michigan, these are very good pictures, thanks for sharing. I hope you have a nice weekend.

Karen said...

Great photos and thanks for the interesting information aboput Mockingbirds ! :-)

Oskar said...

They look tasty!

Dirk said...

Great serie of pictures and very interesting information.

Rhea said...

I was going to comment that the Mockingbird is the state bird of Texas, but you beat me to it!

Nice photos and facts!

Carletta said...

I've sung this song to my little Granddaughter sing she was born!
Lovely set of images. I love them all but I think my favorite is the last one. Oh, and I like you caught him flapping his wing.

My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

Tink *~*~* said...

That's funny, I could have sworn the noseeum was the state bird of Florida ;)

Happy Critturday!
Tink *~*~*
Just hangin’ around at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

A Brit in Tennessee said...

I had one trying to make a nest on my front porch wreath,and when we went outside, the little bugger attacked us....
I love to look at them, but they were always so very aggressive.
Lovely pictures.

Dianne said...

I've always liked that lullaby and never knew its story

your photos are wonderful

ChrisC and JonJ said...

What a great post!If onloy those stoopid mockingbirds would leave my tomatoes alone!

tricia said...

Wonderful shots. I had no idea these birds were ever kept as pets. Great post Denise. (Not unusual for you) :)

Teena in Toronto said...

So that's what a mockingbird looks like!

I played too :)