Sunday, March 22, 2009

Albert Einstein's Statue in Washington, DC.

When I was browsing through old photo folders I found these. I haven't visited Albert's statue in several years but often see the top of his head over the hedge on our drive out of Washington DC on our way home. I told Gregg I think I am ready to go back. Remember my other personna, Clara Clutz? Last time I visited Albert I tripped up one of those steps and hit my shin bone so hard I can still feel the dent to this day. I hobbled around for months and it took over a year before I could kneel down without whincing. It literally has been years since we've visited Albert. There have been other places I have not suggested going back to, not wanting to draw attention to the fact that I can be a complete nervous nelly remembering places and incidents that have caused me great pain. Anyhow, I've just told Gregg that I think I am ready to go back to see him. Albert is such a beautiful statue sculpted by Robert Berks and is in the grounds of the National Academy of Science. You will more often than not see many people waiting their turn to sit on his lap for their photograph. If you ever get the chance go visit him but be careful of those steps!

In his left hand, he holds a paper with mathematical equations summarizing three of Einstein's most important scientific contributions: the photoelectric effect, the theory of general relativity, and the equivalence of energy and matter. Follow his gaze. He is looking down at the ground at a star map which is at the statue's base. It is a 28-foot field of emerald pearl granite from Larvik, Norway, and is embedded with more than 2,700 metal studs representing the planets, sun, moon, stars, and other celestial objects accurately positioned by astronomers from the U.S. Naval Observatory as they were on the dedication date.


Here are some Einstein quotes.
~
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
~
"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
~
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
~
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
~
"Look deep, deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."
~
"I am content in my later years. I have kept my good humor and take neither myself nor the next person seriously."

15 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful post.
    I already "borrowed" the quotes, and you shall see them at Comfort Spiral in the days to come ;-)
    Aloha, Sistah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post love the sculpture. how long has it been there? I can't belive I haven't seen it yet. I love Washinton! and all the stuff that is there to see for free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved you post on Mr Einstein, one of my husbands favorite.
    Loved the quotes too, am going to be using them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cloudia, I am only too happy to share the quotes and that you like them enough to post. Aloha Sistah!

    Léia, thank you so much.

    Mommanator, It was unveiled in time for the centennial of his birth in April 1979.

    Peggy, glad you enjoyed the post and that you will also be using the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise. I have lived here my whole life but have only passed him by car...never ventured to his lap. :o) I may have to do that! Thank you for the trivia. Was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful statue Denise. Loved your post and enjoyed the quotes at the end too. A x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this beautiful post and image! Somehow I never made it onto Einstein's lap and neither did the children. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Albert Einstein quotes, one of my favorites is the Human Stupidity one. Whenever I see it it makes me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post, I didn't know about the Einstein's statue. Next time in Washington, DC....

    Leedra’s Photos For Fun

    Leedra’s Greeting Cards

    Photography By Leedra

    ReplyDelete
  10. What awonderful statue! It really epitomses the man in maturity. Your quotes are a good selection as well. I came to see your MY WORLD post and got hooked here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! What a neat statue and I love the quotes. Particularly: "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is rather cool. i love all the history stuff

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holly, I don't think I made it on his lap either but maybe next time.

    Anne, thank you, I enjoy quotes very much too.

    Merisi, thank you too. Maybe you will come back one day.

    SweetPeaSurry, me too, it always makes me smile.

    Leedra, I can highly recommend it.

    Arija, I think Albert would love this statue, don't you think?

    Mary, also one of my favorite quotes.

    Tina, I enjoy trivia and history, more now than I ever have done.

    Thanks everyone, I have loved reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this statue. I had forgotten about it. I used to go into DC early on Sunday mornings to "visit" my brother on "The Wall" and then wander around and discover things like Albert! I love DC!

    ReplyDelete