Sunday, February 22, 2009

Today's Flowers

Today’s Flowers was created by Luiz Santilli Jr. and is now managed by Luiz, Denise B. Castro and Laerte Pupo. Please click on the icon above to see wonderful flowers from all over the world, or join in the fun by posting your own.

This is a photo I took of The Navy-Merchant Marine Memorial depicting seven gulls flying over a wave and is affectionately known as "Waves and Gulls". It is located in Lady Bird Johnson Park in Arlington, Virginia. It honors sailors of the United States Navy and the United States Merchant Marines who died at sea during World War I. Designed in 1922 by Harvey Wiley Corbett and sculpted by Ernesto Begni del Piatta, it was dedicated on October 18th, 1934. The memorial stands 35 feet (10.6 m) tall and is 30 feet (9.1 m) wide. The day I took the photo it was surrounded by the most beautiful flowers and that's why I chose it for this week's contribution to Today's Flowers.

The photo above is in the same area.

I am really looking forward to seeing the dogwoods bloom this spring. The ones we see in Virginia are usually white or pink. It is our State tree and flower but I believe it is also the State tree of Missouri and the State flower of North Carolina.

22 comments:

VALKYRIEN said...

First of all; what a great statue! And then those wonderful flowers around it! Great photos of both!

Sandra said...

Beautiful pictures, but the last one is so inspiring and light...calling for spring...

Carina said...

A gigantic statue and a whole ocean with flowers,never seen something as that here in Sweden,have nice week!

Maria said...

Nice pictures! I love the big weeping willow very much too. The statue is amazing!

Inkivääri said...

Beautiful pics!

Tink *~*~* said...

Dogwoods in bloom are a wonderful sight. When they lose their petals in the wind, it's like snow, only pretty and warm and requires no shoveling!

Tink *~*~*
NOW PLAYING at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* - Of Mice and Mutts - Disney’s Flower and Garden Festival

Darla said...

Are those Canna lilies in the first two pics? Our Dogwoods are starting to bud! YIPPEE!!!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Lovely memories! I can hardly wait for the trees of any kind to bud, then flower. ;-)

My Today’s Flower’s post is at
More of Me - EG

Grammy said...

All your photo's are great. I love the willow tree in the back ground it is one of my favorite trees.

Norm said...

love that unique statue and those wonderful flowers.

Diane C. said...

Beautiful sculpture, weeping willow tree, and dogwood blooms! I enjoy seeing pictures of these plants that I don't find growing in the desert where I live.

Cezar and Léia said...

Loved the white one, reminds me a kind of "daisy"!
I would like to thank you for so kind words that you left us in our "secret garden" blog.Your visit made my heart so warm!Have a great week my dear friend!
Best Regards
Léia :-)

Arija said...

Love the little white roses!

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Hi Denise,

Wonderful ladscape and marvelous white flowers!
Thanks for posting in TODAY'S FLOWERS.

Luiz

Lilli & Nevada said...

What an amazing photo of beautiful flowers and a statue to boot. Thanks for sharing

Carletta said...

You really captured the essence of the statue Denise.
My son informed me last week he is moving to Arlington very soon. I've never been to this memorial so I think we have a day trip plan already. :)
Love your dogwood shot! I was blessed to inherit some trees when I moved here. I too can hardly wait for them to bloom.
I have a new blog.
My post is at Carletta’s Captures.

Naturegirl said...

Denise a wonderful memorial. I too am anxious to see Spring blossoms so as of next week you'll see my desert flowers on my TF contribution! See you next week! hugs NG

diane said...

Love the statue and the sea of flowers. Thanks for visiting my blog.

guild-rez said...

What a wonderful post and the flowers are beautiful.
Thank you for sharing!
- Cheers from Canada!

Leedra said...

Great tribute to the Navy! I am also waiting on the dogwoods. They are a true sign of what is coming.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun
Leedra’s Greeting Cards
Photography By Leedra

Tabib said...

I like that Marine Memorial with flying birds.
The flowers pics are beautiful too.

Annie said...

Love that white flower..presume that is the dogwood? Very pretty

Thanks for your visit!