Friday, February 6, 2009

Nostalgia Songs

While I am on my nostalgia theme, I thought I would share two of my favorite songs I used to hear my Dad sing when I was growing up. I still love these old songs. Vera Lynn was a huge favorite in our home.

One of my favorites used to be Lile Marlena. I would pretend to be Marleina Deitrich, singing those lyrics word for word much to the amusement of my parents, affecting her movements from all the times I had seen her on the TV. Old black and white movies fascinated me at an early age. They would get me to sing in front of family and friends. I was a good little actress they told them, all that was missing was the lampost. Let's face it, they were my parents. In their eyes I was a child prodigy, the Sarah Bernhardt of acting. The family and friends? Now that's another story! I have sympathy for them, I truly do. Not then of course, but what does a five or six year old know? My sympathy comes now and also my thanks for putting up with me.



14 comments:

antigoni said...

Beautiful songs and voice.
Congratulations for your new award. You really deserve it.

George said...

Both of those songs are great songs.

Old Lady Lincoln said...

They both gave me goose bumps. Thanks for sharing.

Titania said...

Great memories, Denise. You have got a good dose of humor, I like that.

Daryl said...

Every time I see your 'avatar' I think I had that same hat

Thanks for visiting my blog

Maria said...

Definitely a wherewolf in London (:) but of course not Vera Lynn !

papercages said...

I so much enjoyed the songs and she does have such a beautiful voice. Thanks for sharing those.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Can't wait to check out the songs. Thanks for the links.
:-)

Robert V. Sobczak said...

It's true that what we learn to like at an early age stays with us: and nothing ever sounds quite as sweet.

Gattina said...

I just wished you would have put a video with you singing !

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Great to hear both those songs again Denise. Vera Lynn was certainly special and what a boost seeing her must have given the troops. Our current "forces favourite" is the lovely Katherine Jenkins.

A x

Denise said...

Antigoni, thank you and I am happy you enjoyed the songs.

George, they certainly are.

Patty, me too and you are welcome.

Titania, I try.

Daryl, I remember that hat well. I also remember the chin strap that felt too tight to keep that hat on but it's one of my favorite childhood photos now.

Maria, thought it was and have you heard the Warren Zevon song?

Papercages, happy to know you enjoyed them and you are very welcome.

2sweetnsaxy, enjoy the music.

Robert, so true!

Gattina, I am sure if my parents had had a movie camera there would have been a video ;)

Anne, yes I am sure she was and I know Katherine Jenkins well, beautiful voice.

Thanks for stopping by everyone. Have a wonderful weekend.

Roy said...

Careful Denise, you are showing our age {:)

Denise said...

Oh Roy, I just have to look in the mirror and look at the grey hairs and 'laughter lines' - ha! ha! or should that be 'boo-hoo' :)))