Monday, February 9, 2009

Crockpot Cola Beef and Yorkshire Pudding

With son and future daughter-in-law coming over Sunday evening I decided to make one of Gill's recipes. Gill hosts That British Woman. She has a great blog and also comes up with super recipes. She also has more photos taking you through the process than I do, so if you have any questions check out her recipe.

Gregg was nice enough to do the grocery shopping for me while I was out. He came back with smaller cans of coke. You only need one can but because these were tiny, I used one-and-a-half.
~
Crockpot-Cola Beef and Yorkshire Pudding
~
1 Pot Roast (mine weighed just over 3 lbs.)
1 packet onion soup mix
1 can condensed mushroom soup
1 Can Coca-Cola
2 teaspoons cornstarch
~
Yorkshire Pudding - recipe follows

~

Cooking time: 10 hours on low in slow-cooker (crockpot).
~
Put pot roast into the slow cooker and top with the onion soup mix, the mushroom soup and coca-cola. Cook for ten hours on low but one hour before it is finished mix the two teaspoons of cornstarch with a small amount of water and pour into the crockpot. Stir it in a little and put the cover back on. It is as simple as that.

Yorkshire Pudding
~
1 cup (4 ozs) all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1 Egg
1 cup (1/2 pint) milk
Shortening or lard
~
Get a 12 cup muffin pan and place a dab of shortening or lard in each cup. Put the muffin pan into the oven and pre-heat to 450 degrees while pan is in the oven. This gets everything good and hot and is a key to a great Yorkshire Pudding.
~
While oven is heating along with your muffin pan, mix together flour and salt in a large pouring jug. Make a well in the center of the flour and put in an egg, mixing gradually with the 1 cup of milk. I thought using the pourer was a great idea and as Gill explained, it makes the process so much smoother.
~
Once oven has pre-heated remove your muffin pan carefully as by this time the fat will be smoking. Pour a little of the flour mixture into each muffin cup. You need to get everything back into the oven as quickly as you can but don't rush, go steady - safety first. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
~
I hope I haven't missed any steps but you can always check Gill's recipe here.
~
The pot roast was super. I have never used coca-cola in anything but apparently it tenderizes the meat, and there is no evidence that you ever used it. The gravy is truly delicious.
With my meal I served up mashed potatoes and baby carrots, the potatoes only because my family loves them with everything. The mash was a last minute decision and as I didn't have any potatoes in the bin but did have a container of Bob Evans mashed potatoes, I used them. I already had the carrots on hand. We're a bit finicky about using ready-made pototato products but when I was working I discovered that Bob Evan's brand was about as close as you could get to the 'from scratch' mashed potatoes.
~
Whenever I have made Yorkshire Pudding I have always done as my mother taught me, used one large pie plate to cook it in. Seeing them cooked in individual sizes intrigued me. The texture is a little different but just as tasty, and this way you can make a batch of puddings and freeze any that is left over for future meals. When there are only two of you in the house this is a great way of cooking them.
~
For dessert I made a cherry pie served with vanilla ice-cream. No recipe here because I had a batch of pastry already in a pie plate in the freezer which I had made a couple of weeks' back. To this I added canned cherry pie filling, baking it for about an hour. I always have custard on hand but vanilla ice-cream was Gregg's choice - something we all enjoy - and I have been promising him a cherry pie for quite a while. It is his favorite.
~
I fixed everything ahead of time, measured the ingredients I needed and mixed the Yorkshire Pudding batter, which I put in the fridge a few hours earlier. I also prepared the muffin pans that morning, and cooked the cherry pie a few hours before. All that was needed was to serve when everything was cooked and I had a lot of helping hands. A no-fuss, hassle free meal and everyone enjoyed it. It's a keeper and I will definitely be making this again.

5 comments:

  1. I've made a similar recipe (minus the yorkshire pudding) using Pepsi... it does make a great gravy!

    I love the pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks absolutely yummy. will have to try this out one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks scrummy, Denise. I will have to try that recipe of Gill's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made me hungry! Your meal sounds absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipes sound great. I've used Coke, as well as other brands of soda, but never with the other ingredients. Never tried Yorkshire Pudding either. It sounds simple enough even for me. I'll have to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete