Friday, February 27, 2009

Butternut Squash with Onions and Pecans

Another recipe - must be in the groove. I bought more butternut squash than needed for the other dish I posted, and didn't want to leave it in the fridge, maybe forget about it and have to throw it out. So I found this recipe. It has all the ingredients that we enjoy and you can make it four hours ahead of time.
~
Butternut Squash with Onions and Pecans
Serves 8
~
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
2 1/4 pounds butternut squash
1 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Place pecans on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 5 to 8 minutes.


Peel the squash, and remove the seeds. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes. There will be about 6 cups squash.


Melt butter or margarine in a heavy large skillet over low heat. Add onion and saute until very tender, about 15 minutes. Add squash and toss to coat. Cover. Cook until squash is tender but still holds it shape, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.

Stir in half of the pecans and half of the parsley. Transfer mixture to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining pecans and parsley. Serve.


I remembered to add the parsley this time. It looks real pretty mixed in and with a little sprinkled on top.


I served this side dish with steak and a jacket potato. It was delicious and will be another welcome addition to my 'have to try again' folder.

No fingers were cut or Batman band-aids used in the making of this dish.

14 comments:

  1. Denise, this looks so delicious, I must try it! Glad no Batman band-aids were needed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look yummy, hubby would really like this dish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Denise
    Do you think this could be done with slivered almonds or crushed walnuts instead of pecans?
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I think I will have to try this one, although I'm the only one in the house that will eat squash. Perhaps this dish will create some converts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thank you, Denise. I'm always looking for healthy recipes. I've never tried butternut squash before. I'll try this. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love squash and this dish looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really yummy and I am for anything that has nuts and onions in it. I like the crunchy of the nuts in dishes you wouldn't think about having them with. Love hot spiced nut mix sprinkled on top of a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise! this recipe looks sooooo delicious, I think I should try... =) thanks for your encouragement for me.. I thank you for your visit. Visit me again, I give you I heart your blog award, so go and get your award, check it out in my blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good for a cold winter's day. I'll try to find the local equivalent of butternut squash.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lovely Denise - will have to try that recipe someday. A x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that's just a gorgeous plate of food. I like that you call your baked potato a jacket potato. Write to me if you want my twice baked potato recipe! Love from The Prairie and thanks for visiting my site a while ago for Sky Watch Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds and looks great Denise (without the steak of course as I'm a Veggie)

    ReplyDelete