Friday, January 9, 2009

Baby Nile Monitor Lizard


I thought I would share a few reptile photos. I was fascinated with the way his mouth was opening so I took several shots and made it into a film strip of sorts. He has a blue tongue. You can check him out by enlarging the film strip if you are as fascinated as I was and yes I am smiling here as I realize that might not be the case.


I have since added the following two photographs that are in the film strip. That way you won't have to break out that magnifying glass. Won't do that again without making them much larger.


Nile Monitor Lizards are found from South Africa to Egypt and eastward to Liberia. Some say it was named because of its habit of keeping a lookout, or giving warning of the presence of crocodiles. It is an excellent swimmer and lives near water feeding on fish, frogs and crabs. On land it eats snails, snakes, turtles, bird and crocodile eggs. Hatchlings are brightly colored and will double their size in the first year feeding on insects.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Denise

    Lovely shot of the Monitor. I was able to enlarge the film strip shots but not by much - could see the blue tongue though.

    Best wishes, Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great capture of protruding reptile.
    This is the guardian of River Nile

    ReplyDelete