Monday, December 8, 2008

The Christmas House

This is a house in our neighborhood a few cul-de-sac's over that attracts a lot of people. It reminds me of the house in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I half expect Clark Griswold to appear at the lighting ceremony. Ever since we found out about the place many years ago we have been driving over to see it. It has become a tradition. I cannot imagine how much time it takes to put up all those lights and what their electricity bill must be, but I know it must bring a lot of pleasure to any child who sees it. I have often been tempted to knock on their door and ask them how and why this came to be. Whenever we have any visitors at this time of the year, we always put our coats on and take them to see it.

Years ago when we lived in San Diego there was a similar event put on by a whole street, with maybe not quite as many lights as this house. It was on one of the cul-de-sacs where lived a lady who was an artist. She painted a huge, life-sized Christmas card and decorated it with lights. Before long all her neighbors joined in. They cut out their own life-sized cards, she outlined different designs for them. Hers was a beautiful Nativity but she drew basically what her neighbors asked for, Santa's Toy Shop, angels, animal scenes and more, and they painted them, sort of like a paint by numbers kind of a thing. Every year we would take our son and his friends to drive along that road and watch their eyes light up in excitement. I expect this house has the same effect on today's little ones, and big ones like us as we always seem to say "wow" as we drive by.











10 comments:

  1. My little one loved the video, he was amazed!

    I cant imagine how much the electric bill would be!

    I couldnt reply to your message it said noreply so:

    yes that is weird. I live right by Tettenhall! In Claregate if you know it!? what a small world :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the highlights of Christmas as a child was when my dad drove us through a ritzy neighbourhood in Toronto to look at the lights. That is quite the display in your neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of lights. Beautiful to look at though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina, glad your little one enjoyed the video. I don't remember Claregate but I know my sister will. I will ask her next time we speak. I grew up visiting my nan with my sister and mom. It seemed like a great adventure as we had to catch two buses, and walk through an old churchyard next to an abattoir. That was always a bit scary. Occasionally my uncle would give us a ride back with my mum riding on the back of his motorbike and us in his sidecar. We lived in Wednesbury until I was 15 and then moved down to Devonshire. Great fun and good memories.

    Hi Ruth, our Griswold house is the most decorated one in the whole area I have to say. That's why I wonder why they go to such a lot of trouble and would love to know the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Papercages, lovely to see you here and yes a LOT of lights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Christmas pics, I'll have to get out myself and try to take some like these. Thanks for sharing.

    Cheers!
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a house like this in our little town in KS and it is so done up that none of the houses next to it even bother to put up outside lights. It is always interesting that they seem to have it down to a science because one day it isn't there then bamo! it's up, same with it coming down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I am not paying that electric bill!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be honest!
    How many times did you OOOO & AHHH?

    ReplyDelete