Monday, December 8, 2008

My World Tuesday

Thank you Klaus, Sandy, Ivar, Wren, Fishing Guy and Louise for hosting My World Tuesday. You can visit other posts by clicking on their icon above.
My contributions were taken last night when Gregg and I visited the Festival of Lights at Bull Run Park in Manassas, Virginia. They hold it every year and my photos don't do it justice. You'll see some blurry images here as I am not too good at night shots, but they are a memory for us, a very nice one from our time there.


Gregg took several photos, two of which are below.

Back to my blurry ones.



We were surprised to see a small carnival in the middle of the light show and so we stopped for a walk around.

Gregg took the close-up of the centre.

And I took this one looking up. It was a cold night and there were a few hardy souls walking around with their children but it was 25 degrees F. Kind of brrrrrrrrrrr...........

Like a couple of mad fools we took a ride on the Ferris Wheel. Would you believe in the 33 years that we have been married we have never taken a ride on one? I suggested it and Gregg said, "Do you realize how cold it's going to be up there?" and I said, "I'm game if you are." Well he couldn't turn down that challenge. Besides, we were the only ones around to ride it, mad fools that we are but it was so much fun even though we felt like a couple of popsicles by the time we got off. And it was great when we got to the top.

Gregg looks cold doesn't he. He didn't have the great hood that I did but up we go, round and around, laughing all the time, wondering why on earth we decided to do this at our age. I will be able to hear Gregg snort as he reads this as I know he will want to when I get it posted. He checks in pretty regularly, and so does our son who will never believe that his Mom and Dad did this.

I look cold too.

We had a nice view of the carnival.

The carousel ride is beautiful at night. I only usually see them in the day time, on the rare occasion we have come across them. They have one on the Mall in Washington DC but there again we only usually see it during the day time when we are looking around the Smithsonian Museums.


These people who run these things really earn their dues on a night like this.



We decide to go find some Hot Chocolate and Pizza. I think he was hoping to warm himself with the heat but by the time we walked two feet the pizza got cold. I gave him my hot chocolate to cup his hands around for a while.

Here is where we got those from.

We had just about had it with the cold and our hands were starting to hurt with the biting wind. Neither of us had thought to bring gloves as we were thinking we would be staying in the car all the time with the heat on high. Taking gloves along next time no matter what.

And so we say goodbye to the Festival of Lights for another year.

I have included four short videos in the next post.

31 comments:

Sara G said...

Great post and photo's!!
Take care and thanks for sharing your part of the world with us!!

SandyCarlson said...

Plenty of magic here! Your photos are lovely.

ewok1993 said...

I too would brave the cold temp to enjoy the festival. What a fun thing to do. Your photos are lovely.

Guy D said...

Fantastic shots, very brave to go on a ferris wheel this time of year. Brrrrr.

Regina In Pictures

The Good Life in Virginia said...

i can't believe you braved that freezing weather and wind to take the photos...my goodness.
great shots...i loved the ferris wheel and merry-go-round shots :)
stay warm.

TCKK said...

I love Christmas lights. You look cold but also like you are having a ball!! Thanks for sharing!

marina said...

At a place like this happiness is everywhere! Awesome!!!

Mary said...

How neat and what fun to walk around the carousel and rides. I would have wanted to go up in the Ferris Wheel, too. We have a festival of lights, also and some of the same structures...so that was interesting to me. I've never gotten good photos of ours.

babooshka said...

So much of childhood fairgrounds jumps out of those images. The one with your eyes peeping out made me laugh. You could feel the cold night air.

Linda Reeder said...

It looks like you two are really enjoying the season. Good for you!

The Birdlady said...

When I drove by there Sat on my way to pick John up at the airpot, I couldn't believe that ferris wheel was running - my car thermometer said it was 31! I can tell you I wouldn't be up there in that cold.

Lawstude said...

wow. these are really awesome. holiday shots are the best. thanks you for sharing.

Wren said...

All the time I lived in the area, I never knew about this. So I'm very glad to see your photos and know you had a good (if cold) time.

Robert V. Sobczak said...

I've always said you haven't ridden on a ferris wheel until you've gone around on one at night, in the winter, at 10 below! Anybody can ride one come summertime.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Oh my gosh these are great photos, and who would think that there would be a carnival this time of yr, BURRRR!!!

Kay said...

Wow! It looks like you both had a whole lot of fun even though it was chilly. Thank you for taking us along with you. The pictures are terrific.

Reader Wil said...

What a nice series of photos! You are too modest: there are very good shots! You must have had a very great time together!

Leora said...

Beautiful night pictures. My daughter would love that place.

Eve said...

OMGosh! Too cold but so much fun!!

mommanator said...

O you two kids look like you hada great time despite the chill in the air.
The carosel looks so beautiful!

Tina said...

wow that all looks fabulous! i like the hustle and bustle of all the pretty lights and the fair.

by way i noticed i was following you but didnt have you on my blogroll, so i have now added you mate x

auringonkukka :) said...

BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!and place!
have a nice week! :)

Old Lady Lincoln said...

Looks like a lot of nice displays. Also looks like you were having some fun, even if it was chilly. You wouldn't catch me on any ride, except perhaps the Merry-Go-Round.

papercages said...

What a wonderful post! I loved the ride and great pics. Thanks for the fun.

Tamara Jansen said...

What a wonderful and cold night out. Thanks for taking us along. Glad to enjoy it from the warmth of my office :)

ascu75 aka Don said...

BRRRRRRRRRRR you both look froze bet it was fun XXXXX Don

2sweetnsaxy said...

What a fun post. I have to make sure to get out some time to try my hand at night shots of the Christmas lights. And I think yours are great. :-)

chrome3d said...

What a night of light! So many of them too, I feel like I visited that amusement park.

Janet said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous time, even if you were frozen. You were very brave to go on the ferris wheel, I couldn't do it, I can't stand heights.

tr3nta said...

nice fair and nice doorways on the road...

The Tile Lady said...

Wonderful My World post!!! Oh, what a COLD idea--a winter festival! But it looks like fun, too!

Marie