Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Little Bird

I am only a sparrow amongst a great flock of sparrows
~Evita Peron~

Her breast is fit for pearls,
But I was not a “Diver”.
Her brow is fit for thrones,
But I have not a crest.
Her heart is fit for home,
I, a Sparrow, build there.
Sweet of twigs and twine
My perennial nest.

~Emily Dickinson~

Once I saw a little bird
Come hop, hop, hop.
So I cried, "Little bird,
Will you stop, stop, stop?"
I saw going to the window
To say, "How do you do?"
But he shook his little tail,
And away he flew.

~Sanjay Ahluwalia~

In the beginning, when the earth was new,
Birds had no feet but only flew.
When they crashed upon their nose,
Mother Nature gave them toes.
Then they dined standing on the beach,
Catching all the fish within their reach.
And when they fought for fish to eat,
Mother Nature stretched their feet.
"Nobody here can fall asleep!
So, you long-legged birds, fish in the deep.
Short-legged birds, fish near the shore,
And stop that fighting! You hear? No more!"

~Frank Asch~

18 comments:

A. Jorge said...

Beautiful birds, great photos, great post. Congratulations!

Kisses

Jorge

The Birdlady said...

Denise, the next time you go to England, how about taking a load of these guys? I understand they want them back, and they are so hard on our native cavity nesters....It's not their fault - another case of man screwing things up. Cute shots, though.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

look at the precious little birdies. great shots.

please email me your address so i can send you my book and a vintage towel that you won in my blog giveaway :)
my email is:
in2vintagecloths@ntelos.net

i am so happy you won!

Mojo said...

I'll spare you the one we learned in the army as a marching cadence. But it kept ringing in my ears as I read these.

Somehow the idea of Eva Peron as something as prosaic as a sparrow just doesn't quite... fly.

The Grandpa said...

Great photos. Thanks.

Tabib said...

Great shots and great quote.

Cloudia said...

Your photos opened my heart-
then you filed it with poetry.
Oh thank you for this lovely post!
Aloha-

Tash said...

Excellent bird photographs - shows their playfulness. I enjoyed the fun poems too.

Jan said...

Wonderful photos of a common bird. I've always like sparrows, but most people don't.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Wonderful photos of pretty little birds Denise. We rarely see them now and do miss them.

A x

Eve said...

Wonderful poems and a nice tribute to your English Sparrow Denise!

Wren said...

Great photos. Not such a fan of Evita, but one suspects her of false pretenses in her claim to sparrowhood.

Mary said...

A very nice sparrow tribute :-)

Ilene said...

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Leedra said...

They are such a pretty color this time of year.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great post and great photos. They're so cute!

mommanator said...

great post! took some time I bet!

papercages said...

Sweet pics and I love the prose you selected to go along with them.