Saturday, November 15, 2008

Quantum of Solace and Daniel Craig

I went to see the new bond movie today. Son came over and picked me up. If I haven't mentioned it before he and I have the same taste in movies - 99 percent of the time. We part ways in the horror genre. I am still a fan of Boris Karloff and Vincent Price, so I don't think I have to say any more in that area.

I hear this movie has received criticism but frankly when it comes down to seeing a movie and with all due respect to the finest critiques, I don't pay attention to them. I never allow anyone to tell me I shouldn't see a movie because it is supposed not to be up to stuff, I would rather go find out for myself. More often than not I enjoy what I see.

If you like this type of movie, please go see it. I never thought I would get over Sean Connery in the role of 007 - Dr No, From Russia With Love - classics - but I'm here to tell you that Daniel Craig makes an exceptional James Bond. No you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand the plot line, but this is an action movie and I wanted to go see a good old-fashioned action movie. It keeps you riveted from start to finish. Great chase scenes, great scenery and - close your ears Gregg - Daniel Craig is a VERY handsome James Bond!

Other favorites? Judi Dench makes a marvellous "M" but she is such a multi-talented actress I think she does well in any role she takes on.

Giancarlo Giannini is first-class as a Bond's ally. What a wonderful actor he is.

Jeffrey Wright plays Felix Leiter and my only complain here is that he didn't get enough on-screen time.

There are other good performances and I won't go into it any more but just want to say if you love a good action movie and you enjoy going out to the movies like me, do go see it.

8 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Ooh, now I'm definitely going to see it. Actually I had heard that it is a good film so was tempted anyway. Daniel Craig is very handsome but I haven't seen the first Bond movie he was in yet! I'm with you on the "Sean Connery's Bond" bit. However, well remember Daniel Craig in a TV series over here quite a few years ago - "Our Friends in the North" - and thought then how good he was.

Great that you went with your son. Makes it even more special. I went with my daughter to see "Mamma Mia" - a "feel good" movie I would love to see again. And in Australia I took my older two grandchildren to the cinema but one day I went with just my grandson to see "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" as we felt it would be just a bit too scary for 5 year old grand-daughter. I really quite enjoyed it but the best bit was watching 8 year old Jake's reaction to it all. Unforgettable!

Sorry I've rambled a bit.

A x

fishing guy said...

Denise: I so believe a person opinion so much more then any critic. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

Maybe we'll go today since its raining. Good day to sit in a dark theater and be entertained by something fun and mindless :-)

Hope said...

I cannot wait to see Quantum of Solace! My husband and I are huge James Bond fans. Sean Connery is my favorite Bond....no one will be better...but that's only my humble opinion.

Denise said...

Anne, ramble on, I so enjoy what you have to say. Yes, going out with the family makes it even more special.

Fishing Guy, I agree.

Mary, sounds like your day is very much like ours.

Thanks for dropping by and hope you all have a great weekend.

Denise said...

Hi Hope, I know what you mean about Sean but Daniel makes a very good Bond.

media boy said...

Quantum of Solace is entertaining at least... a fantastic job with the styling and picture quality, but the movie as a whole could stand to lose six or seven fewer chase scenes

Denise said...

Ah Media Boy, I must be a chase hound, always found those very exciting!