Friday, November 28, 2008

One Dish Chicken and Rice Bake

I am trying to use most of the ingredients in my cupboards and freezer before we leave on our holiday. I have some Campbell’s Soups and I have forgotten when I bought them, No they haven't been in there for a decade but long enough for me to get the old recipe file out to see what soup recipes I can find. I came up with this one and it is pretty simple and quite tasty. Hubs gave it the thumbs up and I was happy he enjoyed it. I did too. On top of that he has discovered after all these years that he enjoys Brussels Sprouts. I always have but whenever I have tried them on hubs he has been less than enthusiastic. I think the fact that I added a little butter was a big plus. I bought fresh sprouts on my last grocery run and served them tonight as the side dish, with a dab of butter of course.


One Dish Chicken and Rice Bake

1 can (10-3/4 oz.) Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain rice
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

In a 2-quart shallow baking dish mix soup, water, rice, paprika and pepper. Place chicken on rice mixture. Sprinkle with additional paprika and pepper. Cover. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 45 minutes or until done.

Serves 4


Opinion with added notes: We both enjoyed dinner tonight and we have left-over’s for another meal to eat during the weekend. I had a much larger casserole dish than suggested in the recipe and as I didn’t want it all to dry out during cooking, I doubled up on everything except the chicken breasts. I used the one can of Cream of Mushroom called for and added one can of Cream of Celery. To the rice mixture I also added dehydrated chopped onions thanks to Celia who added them to her Fried Cornbread a little while ago, garlic powder and to finish off before putting it in the oven I sprinkled the chicken with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and Pepper, along with the Paprika, and also a little more garlic powder. One of those meals that most of us have come across before, and a definite keeper for a fast, no fuss dinner.

11 comments:

papercages said...

Sounds like a recipe worth trying. Thanks again for sharing Denise.

Denise said...

Papercages you are very welcome.

Lilli & Nevada said...

Ah I just made that the other day, turned out pretty good.

Denise said...

Hi Lilli &amp, nice to know yours turned out well too.

magiceye said...

looks yummy...!!!!

It is peace in Mumbai at last.
Thank you for all your prayers and good wishes.
Pray for all those who lost their lives and may God give strength to their near and dear ones to bear their irreparable loss.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

That looks delicious Denise and so easy. I will definitely give it a try. Thanks.

A x

Eve said...

That looks great to me Denise! I love brussel sprouts with butter and salt...yummy!
Well, I don't know if you've gone but make sure you stop by todays post when you get back....it's for you!

Cezar and Léia said...

Terrific!I do need to take some notes!I will try it soon and then I can tell you if Cezar gave it thumbs up for my meal too! Léia

Denise said...

Magiceye, all of those dear people will always be in my thoughts and prayers as will you for I believe everyone in Mumbai must be feeling great heart-ache this morning.

Strawberry Jam Anne, thank you.

Eve, I forgot to mention the salt. I haven't been by your post yet but I'll be right on over.

Leia, I hope Cezar likes it as much as Gregg did.

Linda Reeder said...

Hi. When you showed up on my blog, I checked you out. I like what I see!

david mcmahon said...

Next time you're in Melbourne, I'll do my special lemon pepper chicken on the BBQ for you and your family.