Friday, November 28, 2008

One Day After Thanksgiving

The squirrels are still kings of the castle on our back deck and apart from one brave Blue Jay who swooped down to take a kernel of corn up into a tree, I haven't seen any other birds yet. This photo of a Male Cardinal was taken a few years back. I have decided to set up my camera for any other potential candidates of the feathered kind. I am living in hope that the squirrels will fill their tummies and get out of Dodge, at least for a little while! Don't get me wrong, I still love the sweet darlings but I am anxious to see what winter birds will stop by. Yes I know, I could be waiting a long time but I always live in hope.

We had a great day over at Lisa's house. For those of you who don't know yet, she is our son's fiance and her parents asked us to spend the day with them. I didn't take any photos but Son-One-And-Only is his mother's child and took many. I will share a few later on when I get them.

Thanksgiving Gatherers: Lisa's Mom and Dad, Lisa, her older brother and his wife and their two adorable toddlers, her younger brother and his girlfriend, Gregg, Brad and me. The meal was delicious, turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing, wonderful gravy, yams and apples with that yummy marshmallow topping, roasted green beans with pine nuts, pickled cucumbers that Lisa had brined with hot peppers from her uncle's garden, brought back from their last trip to Minnesota to join the cast of characters on the Thanksgiving Table. I think I may have missed a few things but most definitely not the Pumpkin Pie Lisa's sister-in-law had made from scratch. She described that the hardest part was breaking open the pumpkin. I told her all her hard work had paid off as her pie was delicious and a fitting end to a superb meal. We spent a few hours afterward chatting and getting to know one another a little more, enjoying each other's conversation. It was fun watching the children play, they were so good and a delightful part of the day. Hours passed quickly when we realized that it was time to go home. And that's how we spent our Thanksgiving.

I hope all your Thanksgivings were special ones. One of my favorite things to do on Friday is to check out all the photographs of those participating in SkyWatch Friday. One such person was the host of Body Soul and Spirit. You can find her blog here. After enjoying SWF photos I read of a story about another post at Mountain Musings which you can find here. I wanted to share it with you as it really does show what this very special day is all about.

5 comments:

Eve said...

Thanks Denise! I had a few cardinals today, not real normal for me...not sure why, but it sure was fun seeing them!

Cloudia said...

A red flash of JOY!
Thank you, Dear....Aloha-

papercages said...

Glad you had such a wonderful holiday and thank you for sharing. Can't wait to see the pics. :)

Ruth said...

Thanks for the link. I am glad to meet you too.

Leedra said...

He is quite handsome.