Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Snapping Turtles, Seahorses, Crabs and Fish

Correct me if I am wrong because I am not a hundred percent certain, but I thought this old dinosaur was identified as a Snapping Turtle.He has a very interesting face doesn't he?


There were several small crabs scurrying around in this exhibit.


My personal favorites were the Seahorses. Only a couple of photos came out. Seahorse populations are declining but it is hoped that holding and displaying them will heighten awareness of marine conservation issues, engage public support and provide the opportunity to study and improve our knowledge of their biology. Here they are not collected from the wild, instead they get animals from facilities that breed captive individuals.

I took many!!!!! Most came out very blurry but I was happy with what I could get.

These are Lionfish and very venomous. They are native to the Indian and Pacific Oceans and were first observed in US waters in 2000 off the coast of North Carolina. Scientists have offered several explanations for their arrival - accidental or intentional release by aquarium hobbyists. Lionfish now live around wrecks from New York to South Florida where they prey on small fish and threaten local fisheries. I read that the lesson learned from this and other 'invasive' stories is to avoid introducing non-native species into our local environments.



Striped Burrfish. Their range is from the Chesapeake Bay to Brazil.

Sheepshead and their range is from Cape Cod to Brazil.

I didn't identify all the fish and am not sure what these are.

Or this?
These look like those Sheepshead.

21 comments:

  1. Oh là là ! Que ces photos sont jolies !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Webradio, Merci beaucoup. Vous êtes très aimable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a snapping turtle to me(we have those in OK too). Their heads are too big to fit in their shells, so the snapping is a defence mechanism. They can take your finger off if you try to touch one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet, glad there was a a very thick glass between us. I could get up real close to take a good look at him. He was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Seahorse, awesome. Several years ago we found a dead one on the beach. It was black and we did not know if that was natural, or after it died. It is still just like it was when we found it. One of our real treasures from the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great photos Denise, as always and you speak French, is there no end to your talents........

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leedra, that is so interesting about your discovery.

    Gill, no I don't speak French, I just went to one of the free on-line translation sites. Just thought it would be nice to reply to Webradio in that language and was curious how it would translate. :))) Secret is out, no I do not speak French! Only wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the turtle. We have some big ol' snappers here. They are so old they make the dirt look new. I love them. They seem so wise.

    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, the Snapping turtle. We have plenty of them near our home. I once saved a baby duck from a Snapper's jaws. They are viscious!
    Your fish photos are super, and I like the Seahorses. They are fascenating little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, they are amazing aren't they?

    Becky & Gary, I didn't realize they were that predatory of things like ducks. Interesting info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your photos are wonderful and this post was very interesting to me so I read it twice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Island Rambles, thank you so much. I am very happy you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some great shots of the birds and marine life on your trip! I especially like the one of the gull looking straight into your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lew, that is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice photos. You can always test to see if it is a snapper or not, by putting one finger down in front of his nose.

    But yep it is a snapper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow thanks Denise! Another fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos.You must be very patient or you subjects only move very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Abraham Lincoln, errrrr......or as we ex-Pat Brits say, "Not bloody likely!" :))))

    Eve, thank you once again, you say the nicest things.

    Cheshire Wife, some moved fast, some mopved slow, like the turtle and the snapping turtle. Everthing else was a blur :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crabs are a lot of fun to watch as they move about. The seahorses are super! and the lovely fish! I think Aquariums are wonderful and wish they would put one on our waterfront.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I gotta wonder what that old man turtle looked like when he was younger. Love the seahorses too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some great photographs of some of the Marine Science exhibits, and such interesting info! The lionfish being off the coast of NC--very interesting! And I love the seahorses!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete