Sunday, October 19, 2008

River Otters at The Virginia Aquarium

Joy, joy, joy. We discovered that there were River Otters at the Aquarium. Gregg took this photo of me totally focused on these wonderful little animals.

These River Otters were brought to the aquarium in 1996 when they were about a year old. There are actually four of them and their names are Cash, Rudee, Pungo and Willoughby.


This was one of my most favorite parts of the aquarium. We got there not long after opening time. The Otters were very active and put on a great show. We stayed with them for about half an hour before moving on. When we came back on our way out three hours later they were nowhere to be found. I think we were very lucky to go when we did.

River Otters are part of the Weasel family and spend a lot of time on land, but with its webbed feet is more comfortable in the water. When hunting they can move at speeds of up to seven miles per hour but normally move a lot slower, only using their speed for short bursts. River Otters can dive up to 60 feet and can stay under water for six to seven minutes. The average life span of the North American Otter is about ten years. They are opportunistic feeders meaning that they will look for prey that requires the least amount of energy to get. Their diet includes fish, crustaceans, small mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and eggs. These Otters at the aquarium are fed a daily diet of fish, chicken and mice, along with a snack of vegetables, fruit, shellfish, minnows, crickets and hard-boiled eggs. All this information came from their web site.


video

13 comments:

  1. Otters are such lovely little critters, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. River otters are my absolute favorites at aquariums and zoos. We are lucky to have river otters at our Knoxville Zoo! It is so much fun to watch their antics ... and the kids adore them! Thanks for all the wonderful photos and information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! I have some photos of river otters at the Miami Metro Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet, they certainly are. I can't remember seeing actual River Otters before. When we were in Monterey we saw lots of Sea Ttters and the memory of them still gives me a good feeling.

    Hope, I would enjoy going to Knoxville Zoo one day. I am very happy you enjoyed my post.

    Antigoni, I would love to see those photos of yours.

    Thank you all for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just great Denise! What a wonderful video! Thanks for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't they just so much fun to watch? Sometimes I see them playing in the water in front of the Kahshe Cottage but they are always too fast and too far away for me to get a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eve, thanks so much and I am happy you enjoyed the video.

    Kahshe Cottage, how lucky you are to see them in their natural habitat.

    Thank you both for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Otters are so cool! I love to watch them eat in the water. I'm glad you shared these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Mary, happy you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How adorable!! Such a lovely critter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting post. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE to watch river otters in a place like that. I could truly sit there all day and look at nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Denise,
    What a plethora of material you had at the Marine Science Museum! Wonderful series of posts!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete