Saturday, October 25, 2008

My father-in-law and a favorite photo of ours.

This is one of our favorite photos with my father-in-law (center). Also seated on the left of the photo is good friend Moe and Orin. The gentleman on the right is another veteran they met that day and I am sorry I don't have his name. As I mentioned earlier this past weekend we joined Gregg's Dad and several other shipmates for an annual reunion for the ship they were on which sank off the coast of Normandy on D-Day. In June 2004 he and several others went over to France for the D-Day Rememberance. While walking around they were approached by a group of young soldiers - men and women - who thanked them for their service. It was a very touching moment as the two groups sat down together, and these young people listened to Gully and his friends talk about their experiences. They were very special young people and they would probably be surprised to learn that I have a great love for them to this day, the same kind of love that I have for Gully, Moe and Orin, and all these wonderful veterans we owe so much to.

11 comments:

  1. This is a very touching post, Denise!
    Please come over to my blog, there is an award waiting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice comment and I am happy that you enjoy your award! Well, maybe you visit Austria again some time? That would be a great pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Denise,

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I'm glad you enjoyed North Dakota. It is a little-known gem.

    Do you read Mary Sullivan at Across the Pond? She is another transplanted Brit from Torquay. She writes a wonderful blog. She is on my sidebar. I think she is the second one down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that you're very proud of your father-in-law. We all are. And proud of all people who sacrificed their lives for us and our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a specil photo and I love the story. Veterans deserve lots of praise and to have their stories heard and remembered. Three cheers to all of them! I was trying to read the name of their ship on the hats, but couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good photo, yes...

    Denise, we must remember, for not begin another...

    Good text to explain...

    See You later !

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good to know that the young appreciate the sacrifices made by previous generations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very touching! My classmate's Grandma is also a Veteran during the 2nd World War. She is very inspiring with all gher stories. She had been through so much in life and she is very much blessed especially with a very good health even on her age of 92, she still goes to the market, chats with her friends for the other town and comutes to places on her own. She is such an inspiration, all of the veterans I must say.

    Thanks for your prayers! It was a very great trip!

    Steven^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very nice - and yes, we are forever in their debt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless them all! I hope you thanked them all for me when you were at the reunion. We all need to remember the sacrifices of these wonderful, brave men! Glad you posted a picture.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete