Friday, October 3, 2008

Chicken Salad Recipe

This is my favorite chicken salad recipe and it's been around in our family for several years now. It is a pretty basic recipe but I changed it around from the original one and added a seasoned salt and pepper instead of just regular salt and pepper. There are two secrets to this recipe, the first is that I use my favorite brand of seasonings, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Pepper. My mother-in-law Bea introduced them to me as she used it in many of her dishes and she was a great cook. I always remember Bea telling me that if I wanted to add great flavor to my cooking, this is what I should add and I have always used it in this recipe. If you can't get Lawry's there are many other brands of course, it will just taste a little different and will probably be delicious, but as long as I can get Lawry's, this is what I will be using. Her heritage was French and English and this influenced her cooking. She originally came from Taunton, Massachusetts. Her grandparents on her Dad's side were French/Canadian and her grandfather made ladies rouge for a living. They moved from Canada in the late 1800's.

Today for lunch this is what I ate. I love broccoli and tomatoes and it rounded my meal off very nicely.

There aren't many ingredients needed; mayonnaise, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Pepper, chicken breasts, celery and spring onions, but it all amounts to a great combination.

You'll find the whole recipe below but to start off I poach the chicken in just plain old water. I don't even bother using anything else, the simpler the better, and it certainly doesn't detract from the taste.

The second secret is that I chop everything very fine. It's just a personal preference as I always put my salad on a sandwich and to me it just tastes much better that way. Actually this was Gregg's idea so I can thank him. He doesn't like food too chunky and the first time I ever served it up it had bigger pieces of chicken. He very nicely asked if the next time I made it could I maybe chop it into smaller pieces? I did and decided that I preferred it much better this way, and the next time after that the pieces got even smaller. I loved it on sandwiches.
I chopped the celery and spring onions very fine also.

This is what it looks like after I have mixed everything but the mayonnaise.

And this is the finished product.

Now for the actual recipe. I have mentioned a certain brand of mayonnaise - Hellmans - because I enjoy it. I have also used Kraft, another brand I like.

2 chicken breasts
3 stalks celery
4 spring onions
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
Lawry’s Seasoned Pepper
Hellman’s Mayonnaise

Put chicken in medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil, turn heat down to medium-low for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. Refrigerate until chilled (it’s easier to chop when cold).

While chicken is cooking chop celery into fine dice and also thinly slice the spring onion.

Slice chicken thinly and cross-cut slices until it is in small pieces. As I have mentioned before the secret of this recipe is to get everything chopped pretty fine.

Put the cooked chopped chicken, celery and spring onion into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle seasoned salt and pepper over top; mix thoroughly. How much you use is entirely up to your own taste.
Get a couple of good dollops of mayonnaise and mix it in. Add more if needed. The mixture should be pretty moist.

I have gotten about six sandwiches out of one recipe but it can easily be doubled. Like many dishes the flavor gets yummier the second day, and if there is any around for the third day, even better.

14 comments:

  1. That looks just beautiful Denise.

    I love Kraft the best, but it is harder to find these days (in Australia). I was very happy to find it on the shelf about a month ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some leftover chicken from a roasted chicken. I think I'll be making chicken salad tomorrow. I don't have celery though. I discovered a short while ago that green bell pepper is not a bad substitute for celery if you don't have celery. I tend to keep green bell peppers on hand, not so much on celery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe looks great and I suspect the chicken salad is as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Denise!! It looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the picture by picture approach you made to sharing this recipe. Pictures will encourage the timid (me) to seriously think about trying it. A fine, very practical and beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a tasty recipe, Denise, even if I would pass on the salt. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that does look good, though minus the celery, celery is icky, icky, icky...LOL

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, thank you - perhaps you can substitute another mayonnaise? I hope so.

    2sweetnsaxy, the green bell pepper sounds like a good substitute. We're not that fond of it in this house but eat a lot of celery. Sometimes we stuff the celery with cream cheese or peanut butter and chop them up in bite size pieces for a snack.

    Abraham Lincoln, thank you and it is.

    Eve, you are so welcome.

    Mary, thanks and I hope you can try it sometimes.

    Don, thank you too, I am a very visual person, I need those pictures myself.

    Janet, yes by all means pass on the salt, especially after writing that wonderfully informative article on the use of it.

    Gill, pass on the celery :)

    Thanks for all dropping by and leaving so many kind words. You're all the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this sounds good! I am no fan of celery in a recipe, but you make it look delicious! You work some magic with images and text.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well this just made me hungry. Hmm I have some chicken breasts in the freezer. I'm thinking I better take it out to start thawing :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comment on my SWF pics....Your Chicken Salad recipe is exactly like mine....I use Lowery's Salt on just about all my meats..Love that stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a delicious recipr! I LOVE chicken salad and you have made me hungry! I'm into the kitchen to see if we have some frozen chicken breasts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aloha Denise! I love the recipe and photo instruction. And the Hawaiian flowers brought me right back home! Take care...

    ReplyDelete