Monday, October 6, 2008

Abraham Lincoln in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia

This is a post dedicated to our friend Abraham Lincoln over at Brookville Daily Photo and My Bird Blog.
I thought of you when I 'bumped' into Mr. Lincoln on our trip to Harper's Ferry last Saturday. Your cousin gave an impressive performance and I wanted to share some of it with you.
After we got off the bus that took us into the town from the visitors' center, imagine our amazement when we saw a tall figure in a stovepipe hat, immediately recognized as though he had stepped out of a page in history. This is Mr. Jim Getty who has been playing the role of our 16th President for quite a long time and is well known for it. The performance had already begun but we still saw about half an hour of it and listened to the words of Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Getty WAS Abraham Lincoln. There were about 50 people in the audience and everyone was listening intently. There couldn't have been a more prettier setting, underneath the trees filled with dappled sunlight, next to the river. It was an excellent performance, he was riveting and when it ended I found myself wanting more.




This was a short video during a question and answer session at the end of his performance. I have longer videos but unfortunately they were too lengthy to download.

video