Wednesday, October 22, 2008

ABC Wednesday

This is my first contribution to ABC Wednesday which you can find here. I have wanted to join in for some time now.
ABC is hosted by Denise over at Mrs. Nesbitt's Place. Thanks Denise.

I looked through my files and the first 'N' I came across that I hope will be suitable is "North Dakota". I shared a few in a previous post but these are new, at least I hope I haven't shared them before. Photos were taken in The Badlands.
***
These statues are dedicated to Harold and Sheila which I found near Medora, ND. On May 9, 1965, Harold married Sheila. Harold led a very interesting life and if you are interested you can go here to read more.
***
You have noticed that everything an Indian does is in a circle,
and that is because the Power of the World always works in circles,
and everything and everything tries to be round.
In the old days all our power came to us from the sacred hoop
of the nation and so long as the hoop was unbroken the people
flourished. The flowering tree was the living center of the hoop,
and the circle of the four quarters nourished it.
The east gave peace and light, the south gave warmth,
the west gave rain and the north
with its cold and mighty wind gave strength and endurance.
This knowledge came to us from the outer world with our religion.
Everything the power of the world does is done in a circle.
The sky is round and I have heard that the earth is round like a ball
and so are all the stars. The wind, in its greatest power, whirls.
Birds make their nests in circles, for theirs is the same religion as ours.
The sun comes forth and goes down again in a circle.
The moon does the same and both are round.
Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing and
always come back again to where they were.
The life of a man is a circle from childhood to childhood, and so it is
in everything where power moves. Our teepees were round like the
nests of birds, and these were always set in a circle, the nation's hoop,
a nest of many nests, where the Great Spirit meant for us to hatch our children.
***
Black Elk, Holy Man of the Oglala Sioux 1863-1950
***
I found the above at this website.

These words also came from that site.
***
Treat the earth well.
It was not given to you by your parents,
it was loaned to you by your children.
We do not inherit the
Earth from our Ancestors,
we borrow it from our Children.
***
Ancient Indian Proverb
We attended the Medora Musical which was an excellent show.




I hope you have enjoyed a little bit of North Dakota.

14 comments:

Columbo said...

Thanks for joining, great photos of North Dakota. That is one state I want to visit for sure. Hope to get there in the next few years. Thanks again for joining.

Denise said...

Hi Columbo, thank you for the nice welcome. ABC is opening up a whole new world :)

nonizamboni said...

Glad you joined the gang! And now that I live in Minnesota, N & S Dakota have become my neighbors. Great post. You'll find Celtic Lady's blog address on my side bar and she's from North Dakota too--check her out!
Happy Wednesday to you.

Denise said...

Hi Nonizamboni, thanks for the info on Celtic Lady. I shall pop on over right now and thank you for the very nice welcome.

happyone said...

Enjoyed reading your post. I have never been to ND but it's a place I would like to visit.

Webradio said...

Nice post with pretty photos...
I'm smiling because of Your text...

Greyscale Territory said...

Enjoyed reading and seeing pics of your North Dakota! Especially loved the pic of the Badlands!

photowannabe said...

Welcome to ABC Wednesday and this is a perfect post for the letter N.
I've never been to North Dakota so I enjoyed your photos immensly.

Vixen said...

That was wonderful! Thanks for sharing. I love those quotes. I have been to that site before, and the things there make me think in a really good way.

Lily Hydrangea said...

what a great proverb, so true!

Leedra said...

Brought memories. Took a 3 wk vacation in 1998. The Badlands was the highlight for me. I like the first photograph the best. Like the way you photographed the fence and ranch gate.

Bear Naked said...

Welcome to ABC Wednesday.
Thank you for taking us, through your photos, on a brief tour of North Dakota for the letter N today.


Bear((( )))

haleyhughes said...

Some lovely photos of North Dakota. Makes me want to visit. Nice "N" interpretation.

Denise said...

Thank you all for visiting. You've made my day and I found your comments really interesting :)