Sunday, September 7, 2008

Poached Eggs versus Puerco Pibil.

Yesterday Brad called up and said he would be stopping by today, and again called this morning letting us know he would be here before 1.30 p.m. Gregg and I hadn't long eaten our Naan brunch, and I wasn't planning on doing any more cooking for the rest of the day, but when I heard these words as you can see above, words I haven't heard in a long time, I smiled. I didn't have any Naan left but there were eggs and bread, so I asked him if he would like Poached Eggs on Toast. Poached eggs are a family favorite and he jumped at it.

I don't think he has ever tried cooking them in his apartment. Puerco Pibil, yes, Poached Eggs, no. He has made Puerco Pibil a few times after watching a Johnny Depp movie a while back directed by Roberto Rodriguez, and the recipe is featured in the movie. The director has a ten minute 'how-to' video that came with it. Thanks to the video our son turned into a culinary whiz - he made it for us on two or three occasions as he wanted to 'perfect it', to make it a 'little hotter'. I sacrificed my coffee grinder and if you watch the video you will see why. Let's just say, it was never again used for the grinding of coffee. It was 'different' and we all enjoyed the finished product, and the fact that our son actually cooked us a fine meal was a big plus in our book. Another time he made it for a friend, and another in his own apartment when he cooked for Lisa. Was she impressed? I will have to ask her. If you are feeling adventurous the Puerco Pibil recipe can be found here on YouTube and the director will walk you through the recipe.

All Brad got today was Poached Eggs on Toast.

3 comments:

  1. I think poached egg on toast is the perfect breakfast meal! I love mine with a little blue cheese sprinkled on it! Puerco Pibil...is way too much work for me!! Ha Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE poached eggs so much... my favorite way of having eggs.. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eve and Michele, I have to say I agree with both of you, sometimes the simplest foods really are the best, and that blue cheese sounds wonderful. I'm going to have to try it next time.

    ReplyDelete