Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Old Log Cabin at Claude Moore Park in Sterling

This is Frogshackle Cottage. Gregg enjoys looking at rooves and brickwork. He took the top two photos.
I have a friend who lives less than two blocks away from Claude Moore Park. She walks here with another friend regularly. I had never heard of it so I thought it would be a nice place to visit. Her daughter had mentioned that there was a photographic exhibition on wildlife this weekend and I was hooked. Gregg and I always enjoy exploring new places and when I told him about this place he was all for it. We arrived around noon. It had been raining and everywhere was a bit damp but it didn't rain for the rest of the day and we enjoyed a nice leisurely walk.

The Park was named after Dr. Claude Moore who was born in Danville, Virginia, in 1892. He was a very interesting man, and a short biography can be found here.

The cabin is now used as a nature center. It wasn't open when we were there.

This was out in front of the cabin.

10 comments:

antigoni said...

Beautiful cabin. We all love to explore new places.

papercages said...

Thanks for sharing these. Pics that others post is my only form of sightseeing these days.

Louise said...

What a cool place! I love exploring, too. And I have forgotten what it's like to factor rain into a day.

The Birdlady said...

Gosh, Denise - you were been a prolific blogger yesterday - I saw this and almost missed the praying mantis and the flowers! All great.

Eve said...

I love this cabin...wish I could live in there!!

Mary said...

Looks interesting! Hope you had a great walk there!

Hope said...

A wonderful afternoon and such a nice place to explore and relax!

June said...

Golly, your blog is fantastic! I love the stuff on the Moore Park; I followed the links and they were very informative. You could almost write a little novel based on those times and his land-buying. I also loved your mantid. I must say I haven't been able to sample ALL your recommended blogs, but it looks like a GREAT list. The Better Blog Writing link on your profile didn't work for me. . .
Sometime I will have to remember Olive for you; she was a British war bride from World War II that worked for me when I was a young Branch Librarian. What a great memory and personality she had! It's nice to be reminded of her. June

Gill - That British Woman said...

those are really lovely photos.....another reason to visit your neck of the woods!!!

Gill

The Tile Lady said...

Interesting man! And really great place to visit and take photos! Glad you shared this.