Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Nostalgia Time

This morning I am sharing some old newspaper cuttings of my Dad, Stanley Douglas Haig Goodall. As I have mentioned before he seemed to play all kinds of sports growing up; football, cricket, boxing. After he passed away I found an old trunk of memorabilia. A few newspaper cuttings and excerpts from an old booklet from his school days.

The photo below is one I have posted before with other old photos here. It is about a third way down the page so you'll have to scroll down a bit if you want to look at all the old photos. Taken in Wolverhampton in the mid 1930s. My Dad is iin the front row holding the soccer ball.

Below is a caricature of him. It was from an old school booklet.

Dad on the right-hand side receiving his retirement gift from The Staffordshire Police Force after serving 30 years.

In this cutting Dad is the chap on the right-hand side of the photo in civvies. The lady has the same name as ours, but hers is 'Goodhall' with an 'h'. Our name is 'Goodall'. Just for the record!

10 comments:

photowannabe said...

Hi Denise,
Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments.
I enjoyed reading yours and the interesting bits of nostalgia. That little beagle is darling.
Drop by anytime.

antigoni said...

Thank you for your kind words. You must be very proud of your dad.

Eve said...

How cool is that! It's wonderful you have all that memorabilia Denise!

Gill - That British Woman said...

great photo's Denise...

Gill

leslie said...

Thanks for dropping by my Photologue site. I see we have something in common - my Dad was a local soccer hero and is in the British Columbia Sports Hall of Fame.

Denise said...

Photowannabe, thank you so much. I think we've all fallen in love with that beagle. I look forward to visiting your blog again.

Antigoni, I am very proud of him, thank you.

Eve, thank you too and have a great trip up to Main.

Gill, thank you. Enjoyed your trip to Georgia today.

Leslie, that's lovely about your Dad. I hope you will tell us a little more of him sometime.

marina said...

How do you keep so many old things? That's all your past and you keep it alive through these photos and stuff you have! Good for you and for us who sharing all these with you!!!!

Denise said...

Marina, thank you for those lovely comments. The older I get the more I realize that these old photos and memorablia are the possessions we should treasure in life.

Carver said...

Hi Denise, Thanks for visiting my blog. I love these old clipping. I get very nostalgic looking through old family memorabilia.

Denise said...

Hello Carver, thank you for the nice comment.