Thursday, September 25, 2008

JFK's, Julia Child's and Other Interesting Houses Around Georgetown, Washington DC

This is French Chef Julia Child's house. I was and still am a fan of this lady. I used to watch all her shows when I first came to America and I was delighted to be shown her house at the beginning of our guided tour.

This is John F. Kennedy's house where he lived with Jackie and their children before he became President.
At the time of John F. Kennedy's inauguration reporters set up outside and the lady across the street took pity on them. It was January and she invited them into her home, where she gave them hot drinks to help them ward off the cold. She also let them make important phone calls to their newspapers and there is a plaque on the side of her house, given in honor of all the help she gave them.

I don't know who lives here but I liked them very much, and there are tiles in a flower design on the roof. I thought the television antennae's were interesting also.

This is Senator John Kerry's home.

Another place with a fascinating history but I can't remember anything I was told. So much information in such a short space of time. If I ever went on one of these guided tours again I would take a notebook and a pen along, or even a taperecorder.

At the side there were some interesting statues. I love taking pictures of statues. It looked like there was a basement door under here and the statues were in a small semi-enclosed courtyard.

More interesting houses. I love the architecture of these old homes.




5 comments:

Eve said...

I love these old homes too Denise! You have such fun!!
Have you read the news that Julia Child was a U.S. Spy during WWII! How cool is that!

Denise said...

Hello again, yes, I have her book around here somewhere. Very cool! An interesting lady all round.

Kathleen said...

Such a beautiful tour

cheshire wife said...

As always wonderful photos and such lovely blue skies. We have had so much grey in the UK we have almost forgotten what blue sky looks like.

Louise said...

Love this post! The old houses and so CHARMING. OK, I know they're big and expensive, too, but the architecture is just charming. I love this kind of history.