Sunday, August 24, 2008

The weekend, over too soon.


It has been a wonderful weekend. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. Saturday and Sunday we were out and about. Today we had a short Sunday drive not starting until 12.30 p.m. We just drove around for a few hours not really going anywhere in particular but enjoying the countryside.

I was amazed to see the new developments that are catching up to the rest of us here in suburbia. It won't be long before the two meet and we'll be having to drive a little further to get out to the open fields. People have to live somewhere but I can't but help feel a little trepidation at the thought. After all I'm a country girl at heart, even as you saw by my post yesterday, how much I enjoyed Washington DC. It is a beautiful place to visit but would I choose to live in a city? Well, I can tell you now Gregg would but not I. The call of the countryside is too strong and when Gregg finally knows it is time to retire, we will be heading away from the rush hour traffic as fast as we can. I think even Gregg will agree to that, so long as we're not too far away that we can get back to suburbia every once in a while. After all, that's what life is all about, compromise.

I have a friend whose daughter and family live in the boonies shall we say, which sounds like paradise to me. Everynow and again they go away and my friend house-sits and looks after their fur-babies. By the time they return she is more than ready to come back to the hustle and bustle of city living. Gregg says that I would be the same given the choice but I say to my dear husband, I am more than willing to be put to the test. Put me on top of a mountain with my nearest neighbor 50 miles away, at least for six months or so and then ask me again. Now, can you get the internet on top of a mountain?

6 comments:

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I would hate to live in a city - but not too sure about the top of a mountain! Somewhere in between for me I suppose.

Great to share your weekend with you and Greg through your posts. Thank you Denise.

A x

Denise said...

Somewhere in between is a good place to be.

Thanks for dropping by Anne.

Eve said...

I hope you make it to the top Denise...at least to the top of a good sized foothill!!! What wonderful stories we'll all get to read!

Denise said...

Ah Eve, you always know the right words to say to make me feel good.

cheshire wife said...

Weekends never last long enough.

I think that it might be fun to live in a city for a time and it also might be interesting to try the top of a mountain for a short time, but I am happy to settle for somewhere in between.

Denise said...

I agree, I think we ought to start getting a three day weekend instead of two, just so that we can make it last that little bit longer. And another vote for somewhere inbetween, good enough for me :)))