Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday, my other favorite day.

Another Wednesday rolls around. I think apart from the weekend my favorite day is Wednesday. Not only are we half way through the week but it’s my quiet day. I love being around my family and friends, I enjoy meeting the people who come through the door at work, but today is a day when I am on my own for a few hours and keep my own company. Sitting down to a cup of coffee and a couple of McVities Chocolate Digestives first thing is a real treat, because I don’t have to rush into work. I usually never know what I am going to do, get my hair done, go for an errand run somewhere, or just hang about the house to ....

I wonder how family and friends are doing in Florida. I think I will give them a call in a little while to see how things are.


I have already talked to my sister. Bev and Noel are heading down to Lake Constance for an over-nighter and Monty – their little West Highland Terrier – is going for his own over-nighter with a trusted lady who runs a pension for cats, but who occasionally will take Monty. This lady has a Rottweiller called Baby. Baby and Monty have a great time together when he occasionally visits.

This is Monty.

Did you know:

"The name 'Wednesday' comes from the Middle English Wednes dei, which is from Old English Language Wēdnes dæg, meaning the day of the English god Woden (Wodan) who was a god of the Anglo-Saxons in England until about the 7th century. Wēdnes dæg is like the Old Norse Oðinsdagr ("Odins day"), which is an early translation of the Latin dies Mercurii ("Mercury's day"), and reflects the widespread association of Woden with Mercury going back to Tacitus."
I got the above information at Wikipedia and it has a lot more information about the town and where the word 'Wednesday' comes from here. So, I think what my dear Dad told me about the town I grew up in - Wednesbury - and about it being originally named 'Wodensborough' after the God of War was spot on.
A lot of football players and even one baseball player who played for the Cincinnati Reds and the St. Louis Browns was born in Wednesbury. But that is going way back to the late 1800’s.

2 comments:

Eve said...

Fun Info thanks Denise...HI MONTY!!! Wednesday sounds like the perfect day for you! Enjoy it!!

Denise said...

Thanks Eve and I will pass on that hello to Monty:)))