Sunday, August 3, 2008

THE MOSQUITO INFESTED TRAIL

I have one word for you before trekking the trail to see the ponies, Deet! Or any product you know will keep you safe from ruddy mosquitos who act like you are their first meal in a month, because the ponies have been hiding from them, and they see you skipping merrily along like Hansel and Gretel, and the head mosquito says, "Here are those idiot tourists, I bet they're tasty. SWARM!" We were not prepared and have never been anywhere that had us under such a siege. Never again will we go into the woods without protecting ourselves.


Another word of warning, Hansel wasn't wearing his Leiderhosen but he was wearing shorts, which he regretted immediately. I have joked over the years how much mosquitoes must love the English. I've always had a problem with them and they never so much as nibble on Gregg. Bizzarro World, this time he couldn't get away from them and every step we took we were both slapping them off. They even got us through our clothing. See the photos below? Gregg wasn't acting. I love my hat, I used it to pound on my back like a self-flagellating monk, swatting myself at every step. I stopped taking photos after a while because as soon as you stopped moving they were even worse.








Gregg left me in the dust and I teased him when he finally stopped to make sure I was still following. I couldn't keep pace. Each time he stopped he would do a pretty good impression of dancing the highland fling and once again I watched as he disappeared around the next bend, still swatting vigorously. I couldn't help but see the funny side of things, we both did. We were very happy to reach our car and had a good laugh when, to prevent any followers, we shut the doors with a bang. Fifteen minutes later we spotted it at the same time, one had indeed made it inside but we soon got rid of it at the next stop and breathed a sigh of relief as we saw it fly out the window. We had had enough of those things. "Mommy, why did God make mosquitoes?" Our son might have asked that question years ago and I would probably have answered, "So that Mommy can have a good laugh in 20 years or so, remembering Daddy dance the Highland Fling."



Somehow I don't think we will be going for a walk in the woods any time soon, not even knowing that they aren't quite as bad up north, bad enough but not that bad!


5 comments:

  1. I don't know whether to laugh or shudder Denise!!! Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You saw how far ahead your dh was.......well I would have been a heck of a lot further, as they love me too. I know how he feels...

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Gill, me too. I twisted my ankle a while back and now have hip problems, so I am not as fast as I used to be, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your August 2017 mushroom post and used the link to read this.
    My goodness. Yikes indeed!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete