Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Health Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil, and Mosquitoes hate it?

“The health benefits of lavender essential oil include its ability to remove nervous tension, relieve pain, disinfect scalp and skin, enhance blood circulation and treat respiratory problems. Lavender has the Latin name Lavare, which means “to wash”, due to its aroma which fills a room spread with lavender oil with a clean aroma.”
****
I got the above from this site here.
I woke up in the wee hours of the morning with these blessed mosquito bites on fire. I put the cream on bought from CostCo, and it must have worked as after a few more uncomfortable moments I fell back to sleep.
****
Today at work I was putting an afternoon tea on the table of two ladies, a mother and daughter, the daughter being in her early 20’s I would think. I felt a bit self-conscious of all the bumps on my arms, so I apologized for them and told them they were mosquito bites. The mother smiled in sympathy and then showed me her arms, and that’s when I noticed the rash on her face. She said, “Poison Oak!” We commiserated with each other for a little while. Her arms were covered and one part of her arm looked even worse than my own. I felt so sorry for her but she went on to say that her daughter had a terrible time with mosquito bites and that she ought to tell me what she uses. The daughter said, “Lavender!” She went on to say that she had read somewhere that mosquitoes hate Lavender, and so she bought herself some soap and lotion which she uses through the year because she likes it so much now, but even more so whenever she might be in ‘mosquito territory’. She went on to say since using it she has hardly had any bites, maybe one or two but not nearly as bad as what she used to have to deal with.
****
My sister Bev has told me for years how good lavender is for you, and I do love the scent remembering that my grandmother used to put it in little sachets in her underwear drawer. My Mom’s mom used to love buying pretty underwear – well that’s another story – but I remember the smell of lavender from my childhood. It is good for so many things and I found this site which gives you all kinds of great information and whether you believe it or not, it is interesting.
And while I am on the subject of lavender, have you seen the movie "Ladies in Lavender"? It has two of my favorite actresses, Judi Dench and Maggie Smith. They are marvellous. I can't remember how old it is, not too old but already out on DVD and it is set in 1936, in Cornwall. Cornwall is the next county over from Devonshire, where I was living when I met Gregg. I can highly recommend it.

The other story today was that across the street from where our restaurant is, Alan saw quite a large fire curling up the side of a tree. He called the fire brigade but they were already involved. It had been a controlled fire, the reason for it I don’t know. It looked very serious to the onlooker from several hundred feet away, and with all the fires going on in the country, we imagined the worst and were very thankful that there was no cause for alarm.
****
Good to get back tonight as though it wasn’t as busy as yesterday I am always glad to be on my way home. The road I have to go down is one of the main ones and it gets very congested. The speed limit is 55 mph and unfortunately we have lots of nasty accidents on it. There were two last week and I passed one tonight but it was on the other side. The traffic was backed up for a couple of miles. I could only see one damaged car as I passed by on the other side. The front of it was totally smashed in and I couldn’t help but think of the poor people involved. I hope they’re okay, but you always wonder as it did look very nasty.

****
I get off the main drag as soon as I can and take a country road. It is a little longer to get home but there is hardly any traffic on it and that to me is a big plus. I started using it after my side view mirror was clipped when a man driving his SUV gunned his engine to prevent me from getting onto another even busier road after this one, when I was trying to edge into stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper traffic about a year ago. Fortunately the only damage done was a scratched side rear-view mirror and no damage to his vehicle.
****
It really scared me as when he got out he was very aggressive at first, with a best form of defense is attack kind of attitude, even when I felt he was 99 percent to blame as he veered into me before I had even crossed the line and he gave me no time to react. Well, when you live here you need to have a lot of patience because in rush hour it’s horrendous, and I let a lot of people in as I know what it is like to try and get home.
****
I think I took this man aback when I put out my hand to shake his as we parted ways and said, “Well, it could have been worse” and I always remember his look of surprise as he said, “That’s mighty nice of you to take it like that, but you get pretty sick and tired of letting people in all the time.” I said , “I’m sorry but we’re all trying to get home in one piece” and that was that.
****
Enough was enough, when I told my story to a friend at work, she told me about her way home; we don't live very far away from each other. That afternoon I was taking my country road and I love it, it’s a much more relaxed drive. I rarely drive the other way now.
****
Just had a thought, maybe I should have sprayed that man with a can of lavender for the rest of his drive home, what do you think? Wouldn't he have been surprised? "Excuse me sir but you obviously need to relax, let me spray you with this. Peace!"

LAVENDER POT POURRI.

****
Ingredients
****
1 cup English Lavender flowers
1/2 cup Marjoram leaves
1 tablespoon Thyme leaves
1 tablespoon Mint leaves
1 tablespoon Orris Root powder
2 teaspoons ground Coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground Cloves
a few drops Lavender Oil
****
Directions
****
Mix the flowers and leaves together. Blend Orris powder, coriander and cloves separately,then stir in the lavender oil and add to the dried material. This mixture can go into sachets or into bowls.
****
NOTE: The quantities given are for dried flowers and foliage.
****
More Lavender Recipes can be found at this lady’s site here:

An Old Children's Rhyme I know you've probably heard before.
****
Lavender’s Blue
****
Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green.
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen.
****
Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?'
Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so.
****
Call up your friends, dilly, dilly,
Set them to work.
Some to the plough, dilly dilly,
Some to the fork.
****
Some to the hay, dilly dilly,
Some to thresh corn.
Whilst you and I, dilly dilly,
Keep ourselves warm.
****
Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green.
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen.
****
Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?'
Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so.
"Here’s your sweet lavender
Sixteen sprigs a penny,
That you’ll find my ladies
Will smell as sweet as any"
****
Lavender Sellers’s Cry
London England CA 1900

7 comments:

Ginnie said...

I love lavender I have some in my garden. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog.

Denise said...

You are so welcome Ginnie, I meant every word and thanks for stopping by. I am going to have to start planting some lavender around here too.

Eve said...

Well Denise I guess we should all carry a can of lavender spray in our cars!! What a story and post!

I'm so glad I live out in the middle of nowhere!!!

Mary said...

How interesting to know all of that about lavender! I'll remember to get some. I think you should have sprayed the guy....sounds like he needed it :-) There is so much anger and agression in the world any more and lack of patience and kindness. Maybe we need to spray everyone with lavender. I do think I have seen that movie....do they live on the coast? It's been a while since I saw it.

Denise said...

Hi Eve and Mary,

Eve, there are times when I tell my husband I am ready for my mountain top but then a new day dawns - lol.

Mary, I used to a couple of ladies who worked in an office, and whenever there was a lot of stress going around, you would smell a lot of lavender in the air - smiling here.

Gill - That British Woman said...

What a great post, although I have to say I am not too keen on lavender for some reason......

Gill

Denise said...

Hi Mary, forgot to say that the movie is set on the coast.

Hi Gill, it's not everyone's cup of tea is it? What is your favorite scent?