Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Evening walk on the Manassas National Battlefield

Saturday evening Gregg and I enjoyed a nice long walk over the Manassas Civil War Battlefield. It is only 10 minutes away from home by car. Unlike its history it is a very peaceful place and that time of the day, apart from one or two stragglers earlier on, we had the whole area to ourselves.

We came across this beautiful solitary deer who didn't seem to mind us being there. I had my zoom and was careful not to get too close. I took lots of pictures but was disappointed that several came out rather blurry. Not sure of the settings for that half-light and really do need educating in that area. It's on my never-ending list of photography know-how list.

He was just gorgeous and when my photos don't turn out the way I want them to, I have to remind myself that the best camera is the mind's eye, and to enjoy the moment of being in such close proximity to one of nature's children.

Eventually his ears picked up a sound in the distance and I watched as he went off to investigate. My moment with friend the deer was over. The last photo of him is blurry but it has an artsy effect that I like.

The other photos were taken of this and that.





I found an empty bird's nest and after studying it for a while I noticed that there were dozens of shedded skins of what I think are cicadas all over the trees. The insects were very noisy, grasshoppers, cicadas? Who knows. You might be able to make them out when you click on the photo to enlarge it. This link takes you to a page of information on Wikipedia, and if you scroll down a little you can watch a time-release photo show of a cicada shedding its skin.

It was a lovely walk and we are looking forward to our next one. Anybody who is interested in Civil War history may find this page interesting.

7 comments:

  1. Oh WOW... look at that deer! And the antlers on him are gorgeous... you did well at capturing him. You must have been extremely excited, I know I would have been... I still do to this day even though they wander in my yard daily, I still get a thrill to see them every single time!!
    Beautiful photos!! =)
    ~Michele~
    Mountain Retreat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely walk Denise - and what a thrill to see the deer. The simple things in life really are the best, and give so much pleasure.

    A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michele, thanks so much. I don't think I have ever seen a deer in our yard. I would love that. I think they wander through our neighborhood every now and again but in the wee hours.

    Hi Anne, it was and isn't that the truth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The deer are just beautiful! I'm so glad you got some good photos. I know how frustrating it is when you can't get the setting right and get a blur of something you may not see again. Love the bird's nest, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mary. I guess we have all felt that frustration at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photographs, Denise, and amazing that you managed to get so close to that deer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Janet, I wasn't as close to the deer as it looks as I have a zoom lens. He knew that I was there though, but was too busy eating to worry about my presence. I always try not to invade their space too much. It is always a thrill to come across them. They are such beautiful animals.

    ReplyDelete