Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Animals found at Mount Vernon

If I can stop one heart from breaking, 
I shall not live in vain.
If I can ease one life the aching, 
or cool one pain
Or help one fainting Robin 
unto his nest again
I shall not live in vain.

~Emily Dickinson~




This little dog was waiting patiently in the car while his human drove around feeding all the animals.


"Hello, Rabbit," Pooh said, "is that you?" "Let's pretend it isn't," said Rabbit, "and see what happens" "I've got a message for you" said Pooh. "I'll give it to him" said Rabbit.


“An ox is nothing more than a mature bovine with an "education."
I found this information on the Mount Vernon website.
"Oxen are steers of any breed that are specially trained to work in the fields. Much stronger than the average horse or mule, oxen have more endurance and, because they were inexpensive to keep, were known in colonial times as the "poor man's work animal."

George Washington's oxen (he had 60) were used to remove stumps, haul logs from the forest, and pull plows, harrows, and carts. A "drover" controls the team, directing them with a stick called a goad. Today, oxen demonstrate colonial farming techniques at the George Washington: Pioneer Farmer site. "







"Always remember, a cat looks down on man, a dog looks up to man,
But a pig will look man right in the eye and see his equal."

~Winston Churchill~






"My favorite animal is the mule. He has more horse sense than a horse. He knows when to stop eating, and he knows when to stop working."

~Harry S. Truman~



The following are a couple of photos from the flower garden but I cropped them to see how much of a close-up I could get of the insects.





4 comments:

Eve said...

Wonderful Denise! Thank you for that Emily Dickinson poem. She must be my favorite, I'll have to get a book.
Also love the doggie and the oxen!
Thanks again!

Denise said...

Always makes me happy to know you enjoy what I post Eve, thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Wow Denise - I do love your posts with the lovely photos and quotations, poems etc. Is that your dog - he's lovely. A x

Denise said...

Hi Anne, no that's not my dog, I wish eh was as I fell in love with him and saw him on several occasions during our visit. Thank you also for the lovely comments.