Wednesday, July 30, 2008

To A Butterfly by William Wordsworth

This is for Eve over at Sunny Side Up. I know she loves poetry, writes beautiful poems herself, but I'm not a writer of them, though I just LOVE to read them.
To A Butterfly


I've watched you now a full half-hour,
Self-poised upon that yellow flower;
And, little Butterfly indeed
I know not if you sleep or feed.
How motionless - not frozen seas
More motionless and then
What joy awaits you, when the breeze
Hath found you out among the trees,
And calls you forth again!
This plot of orchard-ground is ours;
My trees they are, my Sister's flowers;
Here rest your wing when they are weary;
Here lodge as in a sanctuary!
Come often to us, fear no wrong;
Sit near us on the bough!
We'll talk of sunshine and of song,
And summer days, when we were young;
Sweet childish days, that were as long
As twenty days are now.

~ William Wordsworth~

3 comments:

  1. Oh Thank you Denise!! What a beautiful poem and my days are filled with butterflies of late!! (That sounded poetic didn't it!!) I'm now thinking of my childhood, which I think was of all the people in the world...in the top 10!!! Ha Ha! See what poetry can do to you. Hard to believe I don't read it as much as I write it. Good thing I found your blog!!
    Thanks so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read enough poetry, thank you Denise.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a poet's soul Eve, and Gill I hope you're feeling much better today.

    ReplyDelete