Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Goodbye to the General E. Lee tree.


The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes
of others only a green thing that stands in the way.
Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some
scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of
imagination, Nature is Imagination itself.

William Blake - 1799 - The Letters


I was passing by General E. Lee's tree the other day, the one in our neighborhood that was damaged in the bad storm back in June, and to my dismay I saw that it had been cut down. I can't really blame the owners who were probably worried that it might topple during the next bad storm and cause severe damage to their house, or worse. Pictures of it after the storm can be found here.

The urban legend was that General E. Lee stood under it's branches during the scrumishes of the Civil War. Our area is full of history from those days. Whether this is truth or fiction I haven't a clue and I have long since forgotten who even told this to me when we moved to our present home in the summer of 1990. Back then and it was up until the storm, it was a magnificent tree and a landmark of our neighborhood. I loved looking at it as it was indeed the biggest tree around and it will be truly missed by me and probably a whole lot of other people, including those who had to have it cut down.

2 comments:

  1. That is sad Denise. It's like losing an old friend. I hope they do something good with the wood like build something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so Eve, something to be passed down from generation to generation, so that other's can still have a connection to the rich history that it has seen during its lifetime.

    ReplyDelete