Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A good start to the week.

Well I did a silly thing today at work; just after fixing one of those afternoon teas I cut my thumb pretty badly. Not bad enough to stop me typing right? Woo-hoo!!!! Thank goodness for that! Fortunately it is on the flat part of my thumb and not on the side, otherwise I would have been up the creek without a paddle and unable to make an entry today. Can type with edge of thumb without much pain. Does that mean I am addicted to blogging? Issues for another day? My thumb bled pretty badly and at first I thought I was going to have to have a couple of stitches, but wild horses and going into the doctor's office come to mind. So, after applying pressure and putting on a couple of band-aids fairly tightly, and several "Do you think you need stitches Denise?" from concerned friends, it is now only throbbing slightly. I haven't taken the band-aid off yet and don't intend to until tomorrow (unless I have a problem) and then I will have another look and go on from there.

How did this happen? I guess I was distracted. I was cleaning the knife when I heard someone call and I turned my head. My concentration was not on the task in hand - literally - and that's when it happened. Yesterday just as I was popping the top off a can, one of the girls walked in and called my name and I nicked my finger with its edge as I looked up. That was on the other hand. She felt bad for distracting me but these things happen, especially if you're running a bit below par. Shortly after I had cut my finger I still had four quiches in a hot oven and needed to take them out at the end of the cooking cycle. Still not concentrating, I really should have waited for someone to come back into the kitchen but I didn't want them to burn, so when I opened the door I forgot to step back and the heat just about singed my eyebrows off. Second gasp of the day as friend came running back into the kitchen for a second time as I had been heard, again. I am not sure what she expected to find this time. Not a good week so far. Maybe I had better stay out of the kitchen for a while.

Good News/Bad News/Good News.Bad News/Good news: Good news is it was a pretty clean cut as our knives are razor sharp. Bad news, our knives are RAZOR SHARP! Good news, it could have been worse. Bad news, I wasn't really able to do anything productive after that but good news, as we had extra help I told them I was going home.

I felt a little light headed and didn't think I would do anyone any good by standing around like a limp lettuce. I have to say it was nice to be able to go home early and I felt fortunate that Michelle had come in to help, bless you Michelle. She even made the shortbread cookies I was going to make today and I hear they were delicious and not at all dangerous. Michelle is turning out to be an excellent cook and will be a valued member of our team, as she is really looking forward to helping out with the baking. And I say again, bless you Michelle.

I turned into a couch potato once I got home, took a nap and feel much better. Perhaps I have a bug, I am not sure but I have been feeling a bit off for the last couple of days or so. Then again it could be this heat and the humidity is pretty high, or maybe it was the shock of pouring half bottle of hydrogen pyroxide over my cut earlier on. Am I rambling? Well, one more ramble and I am going to go to bed. I have been using hydrogen pyroxide for years on cuts and grazes. My mother and father-in-law put me onto it as it had been used in their family since I don't know when, and they thought of it very highly. I found a very interesting page on this stuff with all kinds of information, and I'll leave it up to you to make your own mind up about using it. You can find the page here. Goodnight everyone, my bed is calling to me.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I hope that your cut finger heals OK...scary! I love the little cartoon of the duck/goose in the quilt :-) Every sick person needs a quilt to curl up in.

Denise said...

Thanks Mary, it looks okay today thanks, just going to take a few days to heal. And I agree on the quilt.