Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chocolate Cravings

Do you ever get an incredible craving for Chocolate? I know I do, not too often thank goodness but when they hit they come on with a vengence. I just love chocolate but it gives me the most incredible migraine the next day. I don’t have to eat a lot, just a little, even a cup of hot chocolate which is my favorite comfort drink when I’m feeling cold in the middle of winter. Drink one of those babies and the next day I am reaching for the little white pill that is the “one-day-after-why-did-I-have-that-chocolate-when-I-know-it’s-going-to-make-me-feel-like-my-head-is-being-squeezed-between-a-couple-of-big-bricks-kind-of-a-feeling” remedies.

I should have been feeling great as yesterday was my last day at work for a whole week. So why was I looking all over the house for any sign of a forgotten chocolate bar? I haven’t eaten chocolate in quite a long time and so there wasn't one in my purse, but I looked anyway – thank goodness for that because you know how hot it’s been out there. My friend at work had bought each of us a small bar of Dove Dark Chocolate because she said that dark chocolate is now good for you. Nope, I had already eaten that one and remember the headache the next morning. No hot chocolate until Fall and I even looked at the 72 oz. bag of chocolate chips I had bought home from CostCo, for the baking I do at work. I was actually thinking of melting a few down. Gregg looked at me and said, “Do you want me to take you up to the supermarket so you can buy a candy bar?” I love my husband for his sweet nature and thoughtfulness. But he did have that look like, “Is she going to explode into a championship, chocolate diving frenzy?” The words were unspoken but telepathically I told him not to worry, I was not going to dive into the local dumpster. “Right!” I hear him say in my head. I went to bed instead, it was late and I wasn’t going to ask Gregg to go anywhere that time of night, and I was tired and good sense finally prevailed. I went to bed still craving chocolate, but fell asleep imagining lots of lovely Cadbury Chocolate Flakes floating over my head. I counted those instead of sheep and hey, anything that works right? “Right!” I hear Gregg say, even though he is snoring and fast asleep beside me.

Today we met up for lunch and went over to Noodles & Company and ordered the buttered noodles, plus an order of tofu and broccoli. Got to get that healthy stuff in there. Gregg didn’t say anything as I slipped the oatmeal/chocolate chip cookie in with my order. Better that than go to World Market and buy everything in their Cadbury’s chocolate section, that’s my justification. “Right”, my other half is saying yet again. I dropped him back at work and went home. I waited a while before I put the coffee pot on and just ate my cookie with the delicious chocolate, which hopefully won’t make me reach for “one-day-after-why-did-I-have-that-chocolate-when-I-know-it’s-going-to-make-me-feel-like-my-head-is-being-squeezed-between-a-couple-of-big-bricks-kind-of-a-feeling” remedies tomorrow. After all it only looked like there were eight chocolate chips in there, and that doesn’t count does it? "Right!" Gregg doesn't have to be there and I still hear him in my head. Of course, as I was lying down playing couch potato, eating my cookie and sipping on my coffee, I dripped coffee all over my nice, clean whiter than white blouse. I think someone up there was trying to tell me something. Is that you Mum? My Mum, the keeper of the Milky Ways.

Which reminds me of another childhood ramble/memory. We always had dogs in our family and I grew up with four of them, Skipper 1, Skipper 2, Duke and Jason. I loved them all, each one having their own distinct personalities, and loved as any child should be loved. Now how does this equate to my chocolate ramble you might ask? You see, Jason was the dog I had to compete with for chocolate; Milky Way’s to be precise. Mom and Dad always brought home a big bag of the miniature ones, not for them and not for me but for Jason. My sister was married and living in Worcestershire. Yes I know, we’ve since found out that chocolate is very bad for dogs but this information wasn’t around at that time, at least not in our family. I would occasionally have a chocolate craving even back then, but if I ever went for that bag I would hear, “That’s not for you Dear, that’s for Jason, don’t eat his Milky Ways.” The first time this happened I was quite shocked that I had been one-upped by the dog. Jason was the brother I never had and he was one pampered brother/pooch. Like any sibling rivalry I began to resent the fact that I couldn’t eat any of his chocolate, so when the craving was intense I would devise ways to sneak one out of the bag. I got pretty good at it too. Might sound all a bit strange but that’s how dogs were loved in my family and Gregg just said he can certify that to be true. I still loved that dog so much, even though we were in competition for our parents' affections. Jason was a beautiful Golden-Labrador, and like his sister 'slightly' over-weight.

All joking and rambles aside, this morning I lost another two pounds, 22 lbs. in all, so there will be less of this....

and this....
and less
and more of this....
less of that.....
and that.....
and more of that.

"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar in four pieces with your bare hands--and then just eating one piece" - Judith Viorst

"Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate." - Sandra Boynton

"Nine out of ten people like chocolate. The tenth person always lies."

"There are two kinds of people in the world: those who love chocolate, and communists." - Leslie Moak Murray

"There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate and chocolate truffles." - Author Unknown
"What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of chocolate." - Katherine Hepburn

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with chocolate." - Linda Grayson

"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt." - Charles M. Schulz

"I never met a chocolate I didn't like." - Deanna Troi, Star Trek: The Next Generation

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." - Dave Barry

"Love is like swallowing hot chocolate before it has cooled off. It takes you by surprise at first, but keeps you warm for a long time." – Anonymous

"Never mind about 1066 William the Conqueror, 1087 William the Second. Such things are not going to affect one’s life ... but 1932 the Mars Bar and 1936 Maltesers and 1937 the Kit Kat - these dates are milestones in history and should be seared into the memory of every child in the country." - Roald Dahl

"The 12-step chocoholics program: Never be more than 12 steps away from chocolate!" - Terry Moore

"Chocolate: Here today ... Gone today!" – Anonymous

"There’s more to life than chocolate, but not right now." – Anonymous

"Chocolate makes everyone smile-even bankers." - Benneville Strohecker, chocolatier

"The Spanish ladies of the New World are madly addicted to chocolate, to such a point that, not content to drink it several times each day, they even have it served to them in church."
Jean-Antheleme Brillat-Savarin, The Physiology of Taste (1825)

"Chocolate is nature’s way of making up for Mondays." – Anonymous

"God gave the angels wings, and he gave humans chocolate." – Anonymous

"The divine drink which builds up resistance and fights fatigue. A cup of this precious drink permits man to walk for a whole day without food." - Hernando Cortés (1519)

Jabberwocky
Lewis Carroll and Peter Mansbach

'Twas brillig, and the slithy fudge
Did gyre and truffle in the wabe,
All Mansbach were the Häagen-Dazs,
And the chocolate outgrabe.

2 comments:

Eve said...

Love chocolate, I won't deny it! But luckily don't crave it. Unluckily what gives me migranes is a tasty glass of wine, cold beer or any other cocktail!! Boo Hoo!!!
I love the story and memories! I cherish the little girl praying for chocolate!! She looks like me when I was her age!!

The quotes are great, I love Roald Dahl, he is one of my favorites!!

Denise said...

Good Morning Eve, yes you are lucky and I guess I am too because it doesn't happen but once in a blue moon. Boo hoo is right, fortunately a cold beer does not give me a headache, because I think there is nothing better on a hot, muggy day. The little girl graphic is one of my favorites. I made one for someone I worked with who got mffed because I wouldn't make her a cup of tea because i was busy with a lot of customers. It said, "Please get the old bat to make me a cup of tea before the customers start rolling in, or failing that give me the motivation to get off my butt and make it myself with my very own, capable hands!" :))))) She got the message. And Roald Dahl is one of my favorites too.