Friday, June 6, 2008

Pow Wow in Washington DC - Photos from September 2002

I have been going through my photos and I found these. In September 2002 Gregg and I found ourselves on the Mall in Washington DC. A couple of weeks before we had learned that there was going to be a Pow Wow to celebrate the building of The National Museum of the American Indian.
It was an exciting event and as I have been interested in learning all about different cultures since I was a little girl, I could not wait to go into the city that weekend. We live about 25 miles away from our Nation's Capital.

I took these photos from my seat. It was hot that day too and I saw several people leave the tent, but there was no way that I was going to miss such a wonderful event. This darling little girl and her brother caught my attention. She was doing a superb job of looking after him, and later on I saw her getting ready for her part in the Pow Wow.

There were whole families involved and the traditional clothing was quite spectacular.



This revered gentleman with his grandson was being honored for service to his country as a Navaho Code Talker during WWII.

Here a grandfather and grandson were waiting to perform in their tribe's drum circle.

And so I watched and waited and took photographs of people getting ready for the event.




And many others were doing the same thing. I count at least three camera's in this shot, this young lady taking a movie of the audience. Turn around is fair play.








Wallace Coffey with actor and folk singer Floyd Red Crow Westerman, a Lakota Sioux. Apart from being seen in various roles on the big screen and TV, he is also a fierce advocate of Native American rights and is a leader in the North American Indian Movement. I am very familiar with this exceptionally talented actor as I grew up watching movies he was part of on on British TV, and have to say it was a thrill to see him within camera range.
Wallace Coffey, a full-blooded Comanche gentleman who has served as Masters of Ceremonies for Pow Wows and Indian cultural events for well over 35 years.

What an incredible day and one that I wouldn't have missed for the world.

No comments: