Inscription on nearby marker: Occoquan founder Nathaniel Ellicott built the first bridge here c. 1800. The “Great Mail Route” from Washington to the south crossed here. In 1878 an iron Pratt Truss Bridge was erected. This bridge was on the main east coast north-south highway until 1928. Hurricane Agnes destroyed the bridge in 1972. Today's foot bridge replaced it.
There is a small but very pretty waterfall on the other side. It was a very pleasant walk across and we noticed people fishing on the banks on both sides of the river.
Denise finds a few pretty flowers to take pictures of.