Sunday, June 22, 2008

A beautiful walk through Huntley Meadows Park

Today Gregg and I went to one of our favorite spots, Huntley Meadows. You can read about it here and here. We discovered the park about 15 years ago and can truly say that each time we visit we always find it just as much fun as that first time, it is always fresh. There is a wonderful walk through a wood and a two-mile wooden boardwalk through a marshy area, and it is always changing. Even though we know there are beavers in the area because we walk by their dam, we have never seen them, just the results of their hard work. It is a great birder's paradise and we see plenty of people walking around with binoculars. There are parents who bring small children and people like us enjoying the walk and taking photographs as they go, and people who are just out for a plain old walk while enjoying their surroundings.


It was a perfect day and there was plenty of shade and dappled sunlight along the path.
Gregg is checking out a vine that he noticed at the side of the path. It has the same girth as some of the tree trunks.



We didn't see any frogs today but we could hear them everywhere.




There are observation areas throughout.





Because of all the rain there was more lush vegetation than at any other time we have visited. It was just gorgeous.
















Some of the local wildlife, a white hatted, pink shirted English something or other, with what looks like a black box permanently attached to the front of her face. It's called a Denise I think.






This is the closest I have ever been able to get to a Red-winged Blackbird. He stayed around long enough for me to get several photos. I was enthralled.















The last photo of him isn't the best and is rather blurry with his perch stuck right in the middle, but I was so happy to see those outstretched wings I couldn't have been happier had it been a perfect picture.


I am not sure what kind of bird this one is but loved how I caught his reflection. I cropped my picture to get a better view of him in the second photo.






We spotted several turtles. You can just about make one's head in the middle of the photo below.









Off the wooden boardwalk and back in the wood again making our way back to the car. Gregg is always ready with a lovely smile at every turn.



Below are some of the other photos we took on our walk.


















And this is the same goofy smile you will always get from me when I've been anywhere I can take a walk with Gregg in such a beautiful place, with the added bonus of taking lots and lots of lovely photos.




We passed by several benches but this one was crying out for us, wasn't it Gregg? Or at least crying out for me.


I'm not sure what this flower is, some kind of wild rose maybe? It had the most fantastic scent which hung on the air at the beginning of our walk, and we finally traced it back to them. Very uplifting in the aromatherapy department.












Straight up into the top of the trees.



By the time we got back to our car we both felt great, tired but it was a good tired. Can't wait until our next trip out here. We will probably be back in a couple of months or so. It is about a 20 mile drive from home and takes us 45 minutes.

2 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

you are such a great photographer, I love your photos.......

Denise said...

Thanks Gill, it's my all time favorite hobby and feel like I am always learning and looking for feedback. Appreciate the kind comments.