Sunday, May 25, 2008

Our Day

Our day started off with Brad coming by, having dropped Lisa at her church, with the intent of picking her up for lunch later. In the meantime we were almost out the door as I had asked Gregg to take me to the new Indiana Jones movie. It's not really his cup of tea but he's a sweetie and he knows how much I was looking forward to it. I had my purse in my hands when the phone rang but no matter, you can tell where our priorities lie. Gregg went back to his laptop and I took my shoes off and put my purse on the washer, ready to pick it up on our way out. Forty-five minutes went by and Brad turned up.
--------------------------------------------------
As you know he is a manager at a bookstore and he told us the happenings from the past week. Good grief, he has had more people going in there screaming at him and at other members of the staff over the silliest things, not necessarily anyone's fault but maybe the customer in the first place. And even if it wasn't, what right do they have to act that way to a lady who is over 6o years' old and doing her best, all this while trying to remain calm and polite? It's a disgusting thing to do and very abusive. Thankfully, there are more nice people in the world but you sure do remember the not-so-nice types and not necessarily with a kind thought. I don't know how they think that their screaming is going to get them anywhere, it just says more about them than it does about the person they are screaming at. Am I transferring? Probably. Since I have been working with the general public these past four years we have our fair share, but as a good friend at work says, just thank God you don't have to go home with them, and I passed these wise words on to my son. Fortunately we also remember those blessedly nice people, because they really are one of life's true blessings, the ones you treat like an old friend and go out of your way to return in kind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess that was a bit of a rant but if it's one thing my Mom and Dad taught me, the way you treat another human being says a lot about a person's character. My Dad would often say follow the Golden Rule, treat others as you would have them treat you and I am sure many of us have heard this time and again. My Dad being a police officer, tried never to sit in judgment of another human being, and even though he wasn't a particularly religious man, always said, "There but for the Grace of God go I", and things like “Walk a mile in their shoes before you judge”. Words to live by, so I guess we ought to try to understand the screamers too. After all, none of us are perfect and even though I may slip every now and again because I am after all only a human being with human faults, I try to live the way I know my parents would have wanted me to. Gregg’s Mom and Dad passed those teachings on to him too and so if we have passed them on to our son and I know we have, we feel very blessed because the cycle will continue. Okay, rant finally over with.
------------------------------------------------
After an hour or so Brad looked at the clock and shot out of the house, realizing he was late picking Lisa up. We had a nice visit and it was time for us to go to the movie theatre. Good grief, the parking lot was jam-packed and frankly, I had visions of having to sit in the seats at the front of the theatre. I have enough with my joints aching without giving my neck a work-out too. I looked at Gregg and said, "Maybe we could go next weekend?" He readily agreed, didn't need to be told twice, he had a reprieve and before I knew it he had turned the car around and we were on our way to his favorite art supply store, where he picked up a few items for one of his work projects. From there we went to the Noodle Company for lunch and after that we headed home. Indie, you're going to have to wait until next weekend okay?

No comments: