Sunday, May 11, 2008

Carrot, Parsnip and Leek Soup


Yesterday I put together a batch of Carrot, Parsnip and Leek Soup. There was enough for a second helping for lunch today. The weather has been a little cooler this weekend, and so a nice bowl of soup was welcome. I guess the flavors have a chance to blend when you eat something you have made the day after. It was good the first time round but even more so today, or maybe it was because I didn't have to make it and there was no fuss or bother? Whichever way, it was very satisfying. I didn't think of this before but I realized today how healthy it is. It tastes rich and creamy but there is no butter, no cream added, just plain vegetables to thicken.
*******
2 carrots, chopped
2 parsnips, chopped
1 leek, chopped (white parts only)
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 fresh bay leaf (leave whole)
2 spring/green onions (scallions)
*******
Place carrot, leek and parsnips in medium saucepan. Add stock and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and reduce heat. Allow to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf and discard. Using a food processor or blender, process soup mix until smooth. If you prefer more texture, process half of soup mixture leaving half the chopped vegetables whole. Return to saucepan. Pour into individual bowls and serve with a few sliced green onions on the top, or as I did in the picture, a little 'flower' of basil leaves.
This recipe can easily be doubled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a carrot, parsnip and leek soup recipe and I found that yours was just the right one. No butter, oil or cream. That looks good to me. I have the ingredients and I am going to make it today.

Margaret

Hilary Boulton said...

Have used your recipe before..delicious..am just going to make a batch now..perfect for yet another snowy day!