Friday, May 23, 2008

Amond Tassies


I found this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine and have been wanting to try it for quite a while, so that I could take into work and put them on the afternoon teas. I enjoyed making them but had a bit of difficulty due to using two different miniature muffin pans. The first pan I used they came out great - non-stick and a better quality baking pan. The other pan wasn't non-stick, and even though I greased both thoroughly, the second set just fell apart when I tried to remove them. Lesson learned, I will only be using the non-stick pan from now on. The downside was that I messed up 24 tassies, the upside was, I put the pieces in a plastic bag and had a few nibbles when I drank my coffee, naughty but very nice. I thought the saved ones looked a tad untidy, but at least I will know what I am doing the second time round and hopefully the next batch will look more professional. I took ones I gave a pass to into work and gave Alan, Jackie and Gail one. They are happy to be my taste-testers before I put them out for the customers. You have to like Marzipan to enjoy these. Jackie and Gail loved them and so did I. Alan on the other hand looked like I was trying to poison him and his expression told me he isn't an almond fan. He said with emphasis, that he had just had a piece of toast and wasn't hungry - did I believe him? Ha! Never stopped him before. Yes I am smiling because Alan has become like a big brother and doesn't mind if I snort at his response. He just laughs. The rest of us thought they were delicious and were, in the words of Rachel Ray, "Yummo!"


Almond Tassies


A rich buttery crust holds a meringue filling flavored with almond paste. With their delicate, dainty look, these cookies would be especially nice for a ladies' luncheon - Helen Verbeke, Clifton, New Jersey.


Method: baked


Time: prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling


2 cups butter, softened

1 cup sugar

2 egg yolks

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt


Filling:


1 can (8 ounces) almond paste

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided

2 egg yolks

1 teaspoon lemon juice

3 egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Almonds to garnish (the original recipe required 1/2 cup chopped pecans, but I changed it to sliced almonds)


In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and egg yolks. Gradually add flour and salt. Divide dough into fourths; roll each portion into 12 small balls. Press each ball onto the bottom and up the sides of greased miniature muffin cup; set aside.


For the filling: combine almond paste, 1 cup sugar, egg yolks and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; beat in vanilla and remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat into the almond mixture.


Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Garnish with sliced almonds (or sprinkle with pecans as in the original recipe). Bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove Tassies from pans.


Yield: 4 dozen.




No comments: