Friday, April 25, 2008

Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe with Photo

This is a tried-and-true family favorite, and a recipe that goes on the menu at work where it is generally well received. I have had the recipe for quite a while and am sorry I don't know where it came from originally. 

As you can see I had a little time on my hands when I fixed lunch today, and as I was taking the photo I wanted to dress up my soup a little. Usually I add a sprig of parsley in the middle to add a touch of color for presentation, but I didn't have any today. I got the idea of using some tiny cookie cutters I have in my cupboard. They are made by Wilton and go under Alphabet/Number Cut-Outs. I picked them up on my last trip to Michaels, a large craft store here in the US. 

I used my favorite bread - Milton's Healthy Multi-Grain - toasted a whole slice first and then cut out the shapes afterwards, popping them on top of the soup after heating. 

This might be a great way to encourage kids to eat their broccoli, just a thought big kids too. I occasionally tried to hide nutritious, not necessarily popular food for my family, a trick most of us moms resort to at one point or another, but didn't have to do that too often as they pretty much enjoy everything. Here is the recipe:

1 large head of broccoli, cut up

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 cup flour

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups milk

2 cups chicken broth

1 cup of shredded Cheddar Cheese



Cook the broccoli in a small amount of water. Saute chopped onions in butter until transparent. 

Stir in flour. 

Add milk slowly and stirring constantly. 

Stir in cheese and blend until smooth. 

Slowly blend chicken broth into mixture. 

Add broccoli. 

Stir to mix well and season to taste. 

At this point I put the soup into a blender and whirl until smooth but this isn't necessary. It just means that the soup will have larger pieces of broccoli. Simmer about 15 minutes.

If you are watching calories you can use non-fat milk and low-fat cheese.  I use whole milk when I am cooking for the tea room, but always use 2% milk at home, and it is still very good.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Oh, I wish I had not come and read this...I could eat a whole pot of it right now!